Ace In The Hole restoration - DVD Release on 07-17-07 See Post #66

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bruce Morrison, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

2. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

That certainly bodes well. If this new restoration tours other U.S. cinemateques after it finishes run at Film Forum, I would count on it. Paramount did the same thing with The Conformist recently.

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

This is combination with the fact that it is airing on TCM in January (The first television broadcast in nearly a decade - Get your Tivo's ready!) certainly does bode well. However, this film has made regular tours of art-house theaters for years. I've seen it at least twice in Chicago during the last decade. Sadly, this is still a Paramount title and I have very little faith that they will make the right decision. I hope like hell that I'm wrong, but every year there is a thread about this title that seems to point in the direction of a DVD release, and every year it turns out to be just rumor & innuendo.

In my opinion, this is easily the best film not yet released on DVD.

Come on Paramount!!

4. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    I can't say too much except that an announcement on Ace in the Hole/The Big Carnival, similar to the one regarding if..., should be forthcoming...

5. AlexNoir

AlexNoir Agent

In layman's terms, I would flip a bitch were this to happen. Been wanting to see that one forever.

6. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    "Ace" looked pristine and DVD-ready on TCM last month. Pending a DVD release, TCM will run it again at noon EST on March 17.

For what it's worth, both Robert Osborne for TCM and the host for AMC in 1999 introduced the film as "The Big Carnival," but "Ace in the Hole" was the title that came on screen seconds later.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    IMHO, the original title of "Ace in the Hole" is what the film should be called.

8. Eric Peterson

I couldn't agree more, although my father remembers seeing this in the theater as "The Big Carnival", so his personal fondness for the film is under that name.
    I purchased an original insert poster several years ago, and I nearly bought the copy that had a secondary label glued over the top of the poster that said "The Big Carnival". The seller thought that the label could be removed and both restored separtely, but I decided to not take my chances and went with the original un-altered poster.

9. Eric Peterson

I was just reading the "IF" thread.

If the announcement is similar than this means that "Ace in the Hole" will be a Criterion release!!!!

I'm trying not to scream out loud, right now!!!!!

10. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

11. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

Criterion recently licensed several titles from Paramount. Robinson Crusoe on Mars and If... have already been confirmed. Criterion CEO Jonathan Turrell has suggested (but not definitely confirmed) that Ace in the Hole, Bergman's Face to Face, and Fuller's White Dog may be among the other titles in the works.

12. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    As with Ace in the Hole, Film Forum in New York has recently screened a freshly-struck print of Paramount's White Dog--this was part of their Morricone retrospective.
    Morricone at Film Forum

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

looks very promising indeed

14. Eric Peterson

That's some great info John. Thanks!

Any thoughts as to extras for Criterion?
    • I would certainly hope for a commetary track (maybe Cameron Crowe?) or some other Wilder expert. Ed Sikov was OK on the Sunset Blvd commetary, but he didn't have anything that I didn't already know. Of course, I've read nearly every book on Wilder so that might happen, no matter who did the commentary.
    • Both opening title sequences
    • Poster art for both versions
    • Information on the Floyd Collins cave-in that was the impetus for the story and also reference in the film.
    • The other thought is an extremely rare documentary on Wilder that was made around the time of "Buddy, Buddy". I have the name written down at home, but I can't find any reference on the web. I think that the name has "99%" in the title.

15. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

That's a great list of potential supplements. I think that Crowe might be better (and more likely to participate) in one of the "director introductions" that Criterion used to do. Costa-Gavras, who directed a loose remake of Ace in the Hole (Mad City), might be interesting as well. I'm not familiar with the doc that you are referring to, but I wouldn't mind seeing this one, which was made for German television. The Oscar-nominated animated short The Big Story also seems like an obvious candidate for inclusion.

16. Bruce Morrison

Wow - I hope it's true about Criterion licensing 'Ace In the Hole'! Together with the news about them releasing 'If...' in June, I'll be thinking Christmas has come early. These are my two most-wanted DVD titles.

17. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

Confirmed by Variety:

The article also has other quotes by Becker and Warner's George Feltenstein as well as some unsatisfactory explanation to the foot-dragging on Paramount's The African Queen (No, I don't think there's any chance they'd license that one to Criterion).

18. Bruce Morrison

That's great news, confirming that Criterion are preparing 'Ace In The Hole'. I wonder if we'll see it this year? Any educated guesses on a likely release date?

19. Eric Peterson

All I can say is WOW!!!

I'm hoping that I'm reading that right and that "Ace in the Hole" is part of the regular Criterion Collection and not the new Eclipse line.

Either way, you can count me in for multiple copies.

20. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

It will definitely be part of the regular Criterion line. Becker implies as much in the article.

Also, Criterion wouldn't pay Paramount hefty licensing fees for something in their budget line.