Academy Ratio question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Heggemann, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Mike_Heggemann

I posted the following comments/questions in another forum I frequent and got no answers or comments. I thought I would try here as well.

Here goes (BTW This is my first post, so if this question should go elsewhere, let me know or feel free to move it)...

Ok, I understand aspect ratios, but I don't understand this:

Most early movies were shot Academy Ratio, which was actually 1.37:1, they get shown on TV at 1.33:1 - so technically speaking, when these movies are released on DVD at 1:33:1, they should be listed as "Modified to fit your screen".

A case in point:
    Talk of the Town - was filmed at 1.37:1, is on DVD at 1.33:1, and the back of the DVD says "Modified to fit your screen"

The Thin Man - was filmed at 1.37:1, is on DVD at 1.33:1, the back of the DVD says it is in its original theatrical ratio.

There seems to be no "standard" for the way companies label this. Why not? Or is it just accepted practice that 1.37:1 really means 1.33:1?

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

With such a small difference in ratio, any noticeable change would disappear in the TV set's overscan.

-Scott

3. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

1.33:1 and 1.37:1 are essentially the same. The audio track takes up part of the 1.37:1 frame, yielding 1.33:1 as the result.

As others have pointed out, the difference between 1.33:1 and 1.37:1 is so negligible that I can't believe we're even spending time on the topic.

Charlie

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. Mike_Heggemann

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    There are several DVD packages out there of letterboxed movies that say "modified to fit your TV," which clearly isn't true. There are others that incorrectly state the aspect ratio. So I wouldn't read too much into that statement being there. Never trust the packaging.

8. Mike_Heggemann