Academic Versions of software

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott L, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I see that Dreamweaver MX 2004 is oly $96 on Newegg for the student version. Is it crippled in any way? I'm thinking there are some hooks if I want to upgrade or am I just being paranoid?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Are you a student? If so, buy it. It's not stripped down at all. There may or may not be problems with upgrading it in the future, but at that price you could buy it three times for the price of buying it once regularly (assuming you're a student when the next version comes out). If you're not a student, don't buy it. It's illegal. Additionally, most places that sell academic software require verification that you're a student.

3. Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti Stunt Coordinator

The main difference is the license does not allow you to use the software in a professional environment (any where that you will make money off of the use of the software). If you are a student and don't care about using it professionally then it is a great way to get software you want for cheap

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    About three years ago, while a student, I purchased Homesite 4 (now merged into Dreamweaver). I was able to upgrade to 4.5 for free and then to 5.0 for about $20. The student version was about $100 from the university bookstore, so getting Dreamweaver for $96 is a fantastic deal. If you're a serious hobbyist (and a student) go for it!

I really enjoyed Homesite, it was a fantastic web-authoring tool. I bet it's superb now that it's rolled into Dreamweavers GUI editor.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Thanks for the feedback, I am a student. Just wanted to take advantage one last time before I graduate. [​IMG]

6. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Microsoft sells a version of Office 2003 labeled 'Student and Teacher Edition'. It sells for around $130. The catch is you can't use that version to upgrade to a newer version of Office. I'm sure Microsoft is the only one that does this sort of thing but it never hurts to keep your eyes open.

Jeff

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    And if you attend a branch of IU, you can buy MS software for $5 per CD (at least you could four years ago).

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Lots of universities do this. I go to Virginia Tech. As an undergrad I was in an IT related major and had access to an MSDN site that VT setup with Microsoft. The site allowed us to download Microsoft software for free or order it on CD for about $5. I got XP Pro, Visio 2002, Project 2003, and Visual Studio 2003 all for free. They did not have Office available for download because the university has a separate deal setup with Microsoft for that. Every student at Tech can get any version of Office for about $70 and it has no restrictions of the software.

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    does anyone know what this program is called, or how to find out if a certain school participates? i'm attending a new school in a couple weeks, and a friend told me about his school doing this program, windows xp for $5 would come in handy now. i could call the bookstore, but they are being remodeled and i dont think they are open.

i bought the student version of mathematica a few years ago for $139, worked great. there were a few limitations, but the limits were so ridiculous that i'd never reach them. and i think the full commercial version is about $1900.

CJ

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Christ:

I'm not sure what the program is called, but it is generally run competely separately from the bookstore. That's a mistake lots of students make here and the bookstore shows them the "Academic Versions" they have which cost a lot more than what the school offers through the deal with MS. See if your school has a computing website. For instance, I mentioned I go to Virginia Tech. Our website is www.vt.edu and our computing website is www.computing.vt.edu. This site tells about these sorts of programs. I would assume that your school would have a similar website.

11. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i called the bookstore of my school (before i read your post concerning the bookstore not being involved), and they had a windows xp upgrade ([​IMG]) for $99. [sarcasm]what a deal![/sarcasm]. i dont think my school participates, unfortunately. it sort of surprises me actually. even though we are not the biggest campus at umass, the amherst campus is huge, and they dont even have the program.

CJ

12. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I work for a Big 10 University & recently was able to buy the MS Office 2003 Pro for $45 & MS XP Pro for $15 from the University. That's a 92% discount off of retail.

13. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I'm a school teacher, and I regularly buy the academic versions of software I want (Macromedia Studio MX, Office 2000, etc.) Unless indicated, they are the full versions of full-price versions.

14. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

You should call the Computing Services department of your University. It is normally the department that handles such software vendor agreements. Just because the website doesn't list such an agreement, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. They usually aren't advertised very well to students.

University book stores will rarely have a clue as to if such agreements exist with your university, and will push the regular boxed academic versions of the software instead.