What's new

"Absolutely Fabulous" Series 5 DVD Set?? (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I think these are just now airing in the US (I have no idea when it was originaly broadcast in the UK), but I was wondering if there was any news on the DVD set for this series yet?

I have the set of the first 3 series, and then the set for series 4 and love them all. However, after the OAR problems with the DVD release of the AbFab "Gay" special and "The Last Shout" (neither of which I've ever seen as I refuse to watch "Gay" in the wrong AR and haven't picked up the set of the two) I'm wondering if the OAR will be preserved on the Series 5 sets like it was on the Series 4 set.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Well, the info they have for series 4 is wrong as it certainly wasn't a full frame 1.33:1 release. So I'm not sure if the listing of full frame for series 5 is correct or not, it would be dissapointing if it was (assuming it wasn't filmed in full frame to begin with of course, which I'd doubt since series 4 wasn't).

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Series 5 is 16:9, I had a friend in the UK record them for me. If it's 4:3 here, I'll just keep these copies or (more likely) order R2..

and FWIW, the R2 release of "Gay" is 16:9

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

The back of the box didn't contradict Warner, either. It doesn't seem to mention the aspect ratio at all, unless I've just overlooked it. So please forgive my mistake. Several online retailer listings I just checked apparently have the same mis-information.

BBCAmerica's website seems to agree with you about the widescreen, though, on both Season 4 and on Season 5 as well. If BBCAmerica - who makes the releases for Warner to distribute - says these are widescreen, then that's what I go with! :)

It doesn't change the March 16th release date we reported for Season 5, though. Everyone says to count on that as when it hits the street. We have a listing for that set here, which I need to update with full specs in any case.

I'll change both of those listings soon. By the way, you could have let us know about our mistake (well, Warner's mistake) any time by clicking the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page at our site. Feel free to choose to contact me directly...on the "To" just pick "Contact David Lambert" from the list.

Thanks for setting us straight.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The Series 5 episodes on Oxygen appear to be very cramped at the sides.

I guess I'll wait for the reviews on the R1 DVD before I purchase, and otherwise I'll simply order an OAR R2 DVD set. That's what I did with "Gay", which is out in R2 in widescreen.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Steve, re-read my post. I just got through saying that Series 5 DVDs will be in widescreen (unlike "Gay", which definately was released wrong in R1).

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Did the BBC not handle the double-packaged "Last Shout" and gay DVD set? Is that why the OAR on "Gay" was butchered? Or was this some stupid mandate from Warner to the BBC for R1 since "Last Shout" was fullframe and "Gay" wasn't??

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Dave, re-read my post. All I said was that I would wait for a review before I purchased. I'm not necessarily fearing the worst!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks