What's new

Absolute best DVD software player with Software de-interlacing? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have a G400 max dual-head on an Athlon 850 system with 512 SDRAM and 7200 rpm IDE HD. My Matrox G400 does not appear to have the best de-interlacing, or perhaps it has no-hardware dvd acceleration. What-ever the case, the G400 and its software DVD player results in combing and other rather lame de-interlacing results. Of course, I'm not overlooking the DVD players MPEG decoding too. Just concerned mostly with the de-interlacing.

What is the best software DVD player de-interlacer? I guess I'd want the best ICDT and motion adaptive de-interlacing, isn't that correct? I don't want software that relies soley on flags? What software is the best?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Here is the DVD software player I have:

Matrox DVD software player

Cineplayer 1.0
2000 ravisent technologies
executable version 1.0.02.0101
resource version CMPNL10.DLL 1.0.02.0042
Install version 6.1.22.0006

I don't know what all that stuff means. All I know is I bought the video card 3 years ago and I have since upgraded the DVD software player through Matrox.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Chris,

all software dvd players are currently flag-based; none do any cadence analysis. The major differences between players is how they handle video material (ie, the deinterlacing method). I believe the best right now is Sonic Cineplayer 1.5 coupled with an ATI Radeon video card (to make use of its hardware assisted ICDT and adaptive deinterlacing), but I don't think it would be noticibly different with your G400 on a computer monitor or other small display. If you have WinXP and want to just use media player (or want to use Zoom Player under any OS), then you can buy just the Sonic filters (the A/V decoder functions, without the graphical front end) for $15 or so.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, using my PC as an HTPC is really only planned as a stop gap to use with an AE100 until I obtain an iScan. I'll just try the software player I already have and see how it works :)

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
a properly configured HTPC will give you just as good if not better picture quality than an IScan, just not quite as convenient in some regards. But you can beat the flexibility esp wrt aspect ratios and scaling

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What do I use for 848 x 484 resolution from my G400 max dual-head? Is there a cheap or free software like powerstrip?

thanx

Chris

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Chris,

I have both, the Dual Head G400 and a G550 (on different computers). Although I also use WinDVD, the Cineplayer that came with the G550 is version 4. Perhaps you should go to Ravisent's site and see if a newer version than yours is available for the G400.
BTW I experience none of the problems you seem to be having. At least, I don't think it has many problems with interlacing.

Cees

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Chris,

you can use the shareware/trial version of powerstrip to see how 848x480 works for you. It's doubtful you'll be able to find a free upgrade for your old G400 cineplayer software, but like I said $15 for the filters is pretty good

-Matt

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I also paid $15.00 to upgrade my DVD software too. I can't remember which version it is, but its one year old. I'll install the powerstrip program, but this dual-head is running kooky as it is, so I doubt it'll work very well together until I figure out the dual-head again.

thanx

Chris

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'm clue-less how to use my Matrox Dual-head with power strip. This combo should work well. How do I do this? I better post a question! Oh know! 70's show with SCTV tonight, I hope its shown again at 11:30 pm! Gotta tape it!

Chris

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Dual-head produces poor video quality. Banding etc. I got pixel perfect to kinda work, but I need proper settings for my card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks