About Last Night DVD help!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Todd Smigelski, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski Stunt Coordinator

Quick one. I have now rented this movie twice online. Each time the details say it contains both Enhanced Widescreen Letterbox, 4:3 Full Screen.

When i pop it in my player the only version is the ridulous 4:3 version.

Anybody have copy of this movie? Where's the widesreen version that's advertised?

thanks

Todd

2. Frank Abeyta

Frank Abeyta Extra

Is it a double-sided DVD?
    Maybe the Widescreen Version is on the flip side?

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

The original DVD (which I have sitting in front of me right now) has the full screen version on one side and the widescreen on the other. Unfortunately About Last Night is one of the many films that have been re-released by Columbia/Tri-Star containing only the 4:3 version.

4. Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski Stunt Coordinator

Yep this is a one sided Tristar. Its interesting that both Netflix and now blockbuster online rentals have screwed me with the associated details telling me its a widescreen.

I guess i give up!

5. Steven Good

Steven Good Second Unit

Steven
    The problem is that Columbia has issued this newer disc that only contains fullscreen version--but have not put a different UPC on the new disc's case. So it shares the UPC with the original release than contained both an OAR and pan-and-scan versions. I'm sure many stores' databases don't reflect Columbia's bone-headed change in the specs of the currently available disc.

I've even read reports on various sites of people buying a disc from Wal-Mart's $5.50 dump bin that has specs for both versions listed on the cover, only to find the disc itself was the newer fullscreen-only pressing. Thanks for poke in the eye with a sharp stick, Columbia!

6. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

That's ridiculous. You've all been reading about the goofy lawsuits that MGM had to deal with regarding the packaging on some of their widescreen DVDs? Well, by contrast, here is an example of a valid complaint, IMHO. If Columbia is re-relasing these discs as single-sided MAR with the same UPC and in some cases apparently the same packaging, then they need to be brought to task.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I bought a copy of "The Bear" that was labled as having both versions but had only the pan and scan version. I sent it back to the company at the Washington Blvd. address, only to have it returned-to-sender because I didn't put anyone's name on the package. I sent it back out directed to Benjamin Feingold, the company's president. The letter I enclosed with the disc states that until they replace the disc I got with the proper version, and they put all the other titles they've done this to back on the market in their proper versions, I will not buy any more of their DVDs nor any Sony electronics products. As of now I haven't heard back from anyone, but if I had the time and money to waste I'd take them to court.

8. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Columbia house still advertises the title as available in Widescreen/Full Screen. I'm afraid to order it because I have a feeling they have not updated their website. $ONY really sucks. They really spiraled downward. How ironic that FOX who was the worst is one of the best. $ONY seems to be trying the please the Wal-mart I'll buy anything for $5.00 mentality , instead of trying to give the best presentation. Does $ONY make Anamorphic TV's? If so, how do you watch thier movies?