Abel Gance's Napoleon...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Anthony, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

I'm not sure if this is old news or not, the search function wasn't working but..

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/222576

indicates this is coming out from Universal Australia in Pal format next month...no indication on specs as yet

M

2. JohnN

JohnN Agent

Thanks for the post. Hopefully the spec details will be posted soon.

[​IMG]

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Someone posted a review link on alt.movies.silent for the DVD...

It's apparently nothing other than the laserdisc ported over to a DVD-9. (Not that it's bad...although, it wouldn't hurt to have a new high-def transfer made, either [​IMG] ) It seems to be missing the lengthy photo gallery on the LD, too.

Since the 1981 Zoetrope version, a ton of new footage has been found... Some scenes were newly discovered and most (or all) of the grainy 9.5mm and 17.5mm footage has been replaced by pristine 35mm. Plus, the title cards have since been re-created to match those found in the original French version... in an elegant font (not unlike the new Metropolis). I think the current runtime of the film is around 330 minutes.

A DVD version of Napoleon would easily be one of the best ever. (Yes, even better than Attack of the Clones and Fight Club)

4. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    I wonder if Universal has that footage you mention, Patrick, or whether it belongs to someone else (which would slow down a potential DVD release while everyone sorts out who should get what). A release of this would certainly put a check beside one of the films at the top of my wish list.

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I found the R4 review, it's over here

Like Patrick already mentioned in another thread, the review specs state an 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer.....

I've pre-ordered it, though the longer (and apparently better looking) version would indeed be even better...

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The reviewer linked above has no idea what they are writing about, as they mention everything but the early test processes used in the filming.

It is nice to know that the sound has had a stereo makeover, since it was recorded in the dark ages of motion picture audio, 1981, on wax cylinders. The six tracks were held in synchronization via bicycle chains in those days.

By a "makeover" they must mean that it can be run on DVD without the chains.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

8. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I'm always hoping that the longest possible Kevin Brownlow restoration will show up in a reg 2 disc, hopefully with a Carl Davis score. The Carmine Coppola one used for the US theatrical and video releases is just wretched. It makes the film look quaint, twonky and cheap. I'd rather watch the film with the sound off.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Gance's film remains, to this day a strikingly powerful tour de force of astonishing preportions.

A definitive DVD edition must happen as soon as is humanly possibly.

But hey, I'm still waiting for Image's 4-disc edition of Bondarchuk's War And Peace to be released. I got an e-mail from some guy at Image saying it's gonna be released in May. Just like Gance's masterpiece, Bondarchuk's ballsy filming of Tolstoy's insanely brilliant epic is epitome of grand filmmaking. Once seen, never forgotten.

Gordy

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Anyone (Mr Harris?) have any definitive information on the statement I read the other day that the woman who owns the rights to Napoleon refuses to discuss any home video release--other than the Coppola/Harris version that is under existing contract--thus precluding any release by Brownlow? I think I may have seen that in the lengthy article at dvdscan on silent films. True or bogus or some of each?

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

It certainly seems that the year 1927 was an important year for silent pictures, besides Napoleon, we also have Sunrise and Metropolis.

Anybody else know what else came out ?

Oscar

[​IMG]

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    For 1927, we also got The Unknown (one of Lon Chaney's lesser known masterpieces), The Flesh and the Devil (Garbo-Gilbert), Wings, Seventh Heaven, The Student Prince of Old Heidleberg, and "It."

14. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Don't forget The General and October. [​IMG]

[Very OT] Has anyone ever heard about Odna (AKA Alone) BTW? Coincidently next month a restored print is being shown in The Netherlands, but I never heard of it....

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    The General was released in 1926 and October in 1928. Still excellent movies, though.