ABC Prepares to Reboot 'V'

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Mar 10, 2009.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    For those that remember the original 1980s series 'V', it appears as thought Battlestar's success, etc. has let ABC look at old properties, and 'V' is being produced as a pilot for potential next year. I have to admit, done right, this is a story that has the right concept and would benefit a great deal from better special effects, etc.

Rants & Reviews - The Futon's First Look: "V" (ABC, Script) | TheFutonCritic.com

2. Charles Knox

Charles Knox Agent

When I just 5 years old, I remember watching the alien birth scene just a few weeks before my sister was born. Talk about having some nightmares.

3. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

Yeah I read something about this recently. I loved V as a kid in the 80s and own all of the stuff on dvd - it really could do well if done right.

Let's just hope that they don't rely on the much improved special effects at the expense of the deeper story and characters that made the original so great.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I liked the original but I'm not sure a xenophobic show is what we need right now.

On the other hand, maybe the lizards' exploitation of Earth will have some parallels to our own ways, rather than being a warning about "others".

5. WillG

WillG Producer

The new "V" has been kicked around for years now. There are a few threads on this going back a ways.

I realize the original was a Nazi Germany allegory. I'm just worried that they are going to make a new one and it's going to be some kind of contemporary political allegory that we are already being constantly reminded of.

6. Albert_M

Look the allegory with WW2 helped give some depth to the story.

It doesn't matter which era they draw upon, just as long as the writing is good.

Science fiction draws on current affairs often too. It's a good thing if it is done well.

7. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    The script review points out it's still very referenced to WWII allegory. But, yeah, some things would change. This is a good potential concept (IMHO). I loved V as a kid, very few things as scary as watching someone pull their own face off [​IMG]

8. WillG

WillG Producer

You're right. I just would prefer if they just gave some of the "Hot Topics" like Global Warming, a certain recent administration, etc. a little bit of a rest since I'm pretty burnt out on all that stuff, but that's just me.

9. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve

No it's not just you. [​IMG]

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

On the other hand, it needs to be a conflict deeper than "we're mammals, you're lizards!"

11. Albert_M

I think it makes sense to stick with the WW2 theme.

Obviously a lot has happened in the 25 years since the original show, so I'm sure some elements of recent years will play into it - but let's not forget that the show had elements that would play out in recent years.

I just really hope that it's good.

12. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I think it should set after the first series. The Visitors have been packing by the human liberation forces, but then they re-invade after some time and it turns out a bunch of humans are actually Visitors in disguise, and some don't even know it. Then the humans all flee on a spaceship or something.

This is copyrighted now, so don't steal it Hollywood.

13. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt

I don't see how they could avoid some of this because of the original show. Part of the promise of the original V was that the aliens were going to give us superior technology to help us with all sorts of things; so if the new show comes about, I expect aliens to promise everything from clean air to cures for diseases [​IMG]

14. WillG

WillG Producer

I don't fully remember if in the original series it was ever specified what technologies the visitors were offering. It wasn't until the subsequent "The Final Battle" series that a cure for cancer was offered.

But even so, I'm fine if, say, the visitors said "we have technologies that can help you with what your scientists call "Global Warming" or something like that and surely, I would like to see some clever subtext in a new project. I would just hope they don't go for something that we are currently already being hammered with currently.

15. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

I just auditioned for this. I was a fan of the original and would really love to be a part of the reboot.

16. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

^^ cool

If they can make this reboot anywhere near the same caliber they did w/"BSG" I'd be a happy kid from the 80s again [​IMG]

17. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

I loved this series when I was younger. As much as I think an updated version might be cool, I'm sort of sick of studios revisiting old series.

18. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
  19. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

20. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Even though the story looks EXACTLY the same, it looks well done.