What's new

Abbott & Costello Vol. 3, Halloween, Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields Titles COMING (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
So The Sentinel and The Legacy are coming to, eh? The Sentinel is one of my top 10 favorite films of all time, and I have been longing for a SE of it even more than The Funhouse. I have the open matte Goodtimes release, and will get Universal's for the improved transfer, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not extremely disappointed that they won't be giving it the SE treatment that is more than deserves. Anyways, on another note, I think The Legacy is a pretty cool and overlooked little horror flick, and Sam Elliott is fantastic in it. I'm glad its finally making its DVD debut.

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Great news about Double Indemnity!

So, Paramount, Universal is showing the way... what about a DVD release for Ace in the Hole? ;)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I recently saw Double Indemnity for the first time, and really loved it - a great noir film from a director I never would have expected. I'm looking forward to picking it up.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

The James Stewart Hollywood Legends has:

Vertigo
Rear Window
Harvey
Winchester '73
Destry Rides Again

I expect it'll be a repackaging of the existing discs. Don't get your hopes up for a 16x9 Vertigo, because Rear Window is listed as anamorphic, while Vertigo is not.

The Don Knotts 4-Movie Reluctant Hero Pack has:

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
The Reluctant Astronaut
The Shakiest Gun in the West
The Love God?

I assume these are also repackagings, but I haven't seen the original discs. They are all listed as anamorphic widescreen.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Why would they just leave out 'How To Frame A Figg'?

Does anyone else find this incredibly dumb..?

Btw, has this been confirmed - Where did you get this information from?

Thanks.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I wasn't expecting the Deanna Durbin pack. That has six movies included for about $20. A great deal for musical fans! Releases like these are partly why I started that post about Universal improving.

It would be a pity if a great classic like Double Idemnity is bare-bones, though. Still, Universal doesn't appear to have resources like Fox (which can always throw in an episode of Biography or something from AMC) or WB (which has access to tons of archival materials).

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I just saw most of Criss Cross on TCM tonight. Pretty good noir film. Every time I see the young Yvonne De Carlo I can't believe she was Lily Munster.

I noticed this error in the movie description at both DeepDiscountDVD and digitaleyes.net (I know they share an owner):

This is incorrect. Slim (Dan Duryea) is actually the name of the gangster in the movie. The hardworking honest armored-truck driver is Steve Thompson (Burt Lancaster).

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I definitely would love to have THIS GUN FOR HIRE on DVD. I wasn't impressed much by CRISS CROSS as I tried to watch it on TCM tonight.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
What about the '79 Langella DRACULA already..?!?!?!
And I had a defective AandC Vol. 1 but didn't discover it til' after 14 days, the limit for an exchange on defective discs from TOWER... And the new transfers like HOLD THAT GHOST blow doors off the recycled laser transfers like WHO DONE IT, which is my fave. The audio level on the last chapter of that also suddenly jumps many dbs.... And parts look awful. They should have all been new transfers, so no, I ain't on the thumbs up Universal bandwagon. Oh well, I hope Ghost Story looks decent...

but what do I know,....?

:) D

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Be nice if the Ghost Story disc included an open matte transfer, in addition to the OAR, if only so we could see all of Alice Krige. ;)

-Jon

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Checked The Laser's Edge and Amazon and neither is showing Double Indemnity as coming out on 07/06. Has something changed?

Edit: Nevermind, found it in another thread. :frowning:

Rob

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
So, I heard in another HTF thread that Double Indemnity is no longer part of the fall line up.

Anyone know?

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Yes it appears to have been cancelled probably in favour of a Criterion edition later in the year.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
As far as I can tell, the idea that this will come out as a Criterion is a completely unsubstantiated rumor. One person on HTF posted that, without attribution. Another emailed Criterion, who said there are no such plans.

That doesn't mean there won't be a Criterion version of this (I certainly would love to see it), but all we know for certain is that the Universal version has been cancelled for now.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
That was the release that's apparently been cancelled. Almost certainly they just haven't removed it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks