What's new

Abbott & Costello Vol. 3, Halloween, Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields Titles COMING (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Gary OS

I felt the need to resurrect this thread and ask an important question that has been put on the back-burner for some time now:

When is Warner Brothers going to release their long anticipated Abbott & Costello set?

It's been something like 3 years since Warner mentioned they had a boxed set in the works that would include Rio Rita and the cleaned up UCLA version (thanks to Bob Furmanek) of Capt. Kidd, among others. Come on Warner, I know things have slowed down but this set deserves a release. Anyone know anything?

Gary "we are so close to having all the films released on dvd this set needs to get done" O.
I would buy a Warner A&C set...hopefully it is still coming.

As for Universal, still waiting for the remaining Kettle and Francis films.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary, Steve, & other A&C fans,

Do you all think that this set may appear on the WB Archive site and you all might be able to get it that way?

I hope you all get this one one way or another!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Gary, Steve, & other A&C fans,

Do you all think that this set may appear on the WB Archive site and you all might be able to get it that way?

I hope you all get this one one way or another!

Thanks Jeff. I don't really know what Warner's disposition is at this point as it concerns their A&C properties. I'd like to believe they will give it the pressed disc treatment as I think the boys deserve a bit more respect than being relegated to the Archive program (no disrespect intended to other films released that way). I'd begrudging buy the dvd-r's if it was done that way, but I'd much rather have the pressed dvds in a nice boxed set filled with a few extras. If they are going that way with the Chan Monogram films, then I've got to believe they'd do the same with Abbott & Costello.

Gary "but then again, it's anybody's guess if and/or how these will be released" O.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The sad reality for me is that I would only get one title if they went to the Archives. I already have a nice copy of Beanstalk and I created my own DVD of Rio Rita from a TCM broadcast. I also have done the same with Kidd, but it was obviously an unrestored print so that's the only title I would be tempted to get from the Archives. Now, if they press the discs, I'll get them all because then I would expect some level of improvement over my TCM recordings.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnitoil

The sad reality for me is that I would only get one title if they went to the Archives. I already have a nice copy of Beanstalk and I created my own DVD of Rio Rita from a TCM broadcast. I also have done the same with Kidd, but it was obviously an unrestored print so that's the only title I would be tempted to get from the Archives. Now, if they press the discs, I'll get them all because then I would expect some level of improvement over my TCM recordings.

Although I too have a fair copy of Rio Rita from TCM, I'd still prefer a pressed disc version that presumably would look as good or better than anything I could get off TCM. And while I have all the other films this WB set would presumably contain, I'd still love to see the UCLA print of Kidd and I wouldn't mind seeing how something like Beanstalk might look if given just a little special treatment.

Gary "I'm still hopeful the TCM Spotlight Collections will be the route used for a set later this year" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks