What's new

ABBOTT & COSTELLO dvds and "...Meet Captain Kidd" (coming to DVD?) (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I got a decent copy of "IT AIN'T HAY" off Comedy Central back in the early 90's. Fortunately, I used SP speed on a very good video tape, and have since burned it onto a dvd. So I have what I consider to be a great copy of the film. If any A&C fans don't have this movie, shoot me a PM.

Gary "just glad I taped it back then" O.

james:w

Auditioning
No one has mentioned that many of the A & C Franchise DVDs suffered from freeze-frames, skips and other malfunctions. Surely I'm not the only one who kept returning these sets, only to find new problems with them. So far only my Volume 3 set plays well, with just a slight pause in the title for GO TO MARS.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
No one has mentioned that many of the A & C Franchise DVDs suffered from freeze-frames, skips and other malfunctions. Surely I'm not the only one who kept returning these sets, only to find new problems with them. So far only my Volume 3 set plays well, with just a slight pause in the title for GO TO MARS.
Call me lucky, but I've yet to have a single problem with any of Universal's Franchise collections. Still, you're right, there was a lot of discussion here about those problems. (Welcome to HTF by the way!)

The more I think about the "It Ain't Hay" situation the more irritated I get that Universal and the Estate of a guy who's been dead for almost 60 years can't come to terms on a film that qualifies for social security. It's too bad Universal doesn't interact with HTF; I'd like to get their take on this situation.

Steve

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Just to let everyone know:

"It Ain't Hay" is available on VHS through moviesunlimited.com

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
So do we know if any of the boys' 1.85:1 movies will indeed be released in volume 4 in the proper anamorphic ratio?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've watched all 3 sets on the Toshiba in my bedroom, which is horrifically sensitive and locks up at the slightest provocation, but I've had zero trouble with the A&C discs. So that's why I didn't mention it. ;)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just read a note posted back in March of 2010 that
ABBOT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD
has been restored and was likely to be released by WB when
they do their restored release of ABBOT AND COSTELLO's "Jack and the Beanstalk"

[url=http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/ said:
Ray Faiola[/url] on Mon, 13th Sep 2010 10:15 am ]

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm sorry Mark but I have no additional information. KIDD was restored quite a few years ago by UCLA but there seems to be little interest in making that version available. I understand TCM is still running the washed out 25+ year old 16mm transfer from VCI.

So far as BEANSTALK, I learned that WB did not locate color separations on it (as had been reported) so they have no elements available for a proper restoration.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I sure wish WB would make a deal with UCLA to get that restored CAPTAIN KIDD out on DVD. I found those Cinecolor separation elements almost 20 years ago and I ain't getting any younger...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Wishes are granted. Warner Archives has up for sale today remastered editions of both Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd and Rio Rita. Oh Happy Day! Two more voids in the Abbott & Costello Library filled.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if WA have the rights but a newly remastered version of Jack and the Beanstalk would also be nice.
But great news on Rio Rita (one of my favorites) and A & C meet Captain Kidd. I've been looking for a decent copy of this film in any format since 1984 so I guess that makes this my oldest holy grail.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek
Just in time for April 1. Is this legit?
They processed my order, so unless they're willing to commit fraud for an April Fool's prank, I'd say it's legit.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
They also added Danny Kaye's Merry Andrew, The Impossible Years, Don't Make Waves, and Chuck Norris Karate Commandos (!) today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks