What's new

Aaron Spelling has passed away... (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Due to his recent stroke, CNN broke news that he just passed in his home.

He was 83.

His name is obviously well-known to everyone here, so listing his many, many shows isn't needed.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Many, many shows is right. Just look at his production credits on IMDB.com--it's just breathtaking. His production company was one of the major reasons why ABC became a powerhouse in programming, especially with the success of The Rookies and Starsky & Hutch in the 1975 and Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat and Fantasy Island in the late 1970's. Spelling was also instrumental in much of the early success of the Fox TV network with shows like Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place. Finally, it was Spelling that got William Shatner to finally break the typecasting of being Captain Kirk by putting Shatner into T.J. Hooker in 1982.

He will be sorely missed. :frowning:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Goodbye, Aaron. I enjoyed a great number of shows. Here's hoping Tori doesn't do anything crass about this in her program.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I shudder to think how many hours of his TV productions I have watched over the years. RIP Mr. Spelling.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
God, I know I'm dating myself, but I go back to Burke's Law in watching his television productions.

Crawdaddy

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
My Apologies for starting the spelling thread in tv/movie software forum. Because my hope was that it would merge into talking about his shows again and chances for dvd release. So i figured it was the right place to put it since it was gonna end up discussing dvd releases. No Big Deal i guess.

Anyways like i said in that thread he was responsible for so many shows that i grew up watching and loving. It really is incredible when you look at everything he was responsible for. Rest In Peace Mr. Spelling!

RyanAn

Screenwriter
While I did not actively watch all of his shows, he truley was a pioneer for the television industry.

He will be missed and appreciated.

ry

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So I have to admit...I've always heard the name Aaron Spelling associated with all these TV shows, but they were never shows that I watched. Not to kick the man while he's in his grave...but looking at his resume on IMDB, while yes, very impressive in length, are any of his shows actually considered quality shows? I am really not trying to discredit his accomplishments...the man made MILLIONS producing shows over decades of time, and obviously people watched. I was just surprised to see that none of the shows on his resume seem to be what anyone would consider "quality". Of course I haven't seen any episodes of most of them, so I'm just going off of what I've heard/read.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
How many tv shows in general are quality? I think when someone puts out that much entertaining television, that it is an accomplishment.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
No doubt. As I (perhaps unsuccessfully) tried to say...I wasn't trying to diminish his accomplishments in any way. I would take the accomplishments of Aaron Spelling over the accomplishments of my own any day. I was just surprised after looking at his long resume at the lack of a single show that a general consensus would consider a quality show.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was'nt a Fan of many of his shows, but alot of people were. And He'll be missed

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'll admit to watching and enjoying many of Mr. Spelling's shows over the years. You have to admire the man for keeping so many of us entertained with his television programs.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I think quality is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know how many shows that Aaron Spelling was responsible for entertained me over the years, there are too many to even try and count. That to me is quality, making people enjoy what they are watching enough to look forward to it each week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks