AAAHH!! I Just Caught a Rattlesnake in my House!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianW, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Marianne

Marianne Supporting Actor

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Man, that sucks. I would be really upset if I caught any snake in my house, let alone a rattler. Don't get me wrong, I like snakes. Used to have one as a pet. I've been wanting to get myself a baby corn snake and watch the sucker grow into it's 6 to 8 foot glory, but my wife is afraid of them and doesn't want one in the house. Anyway, a nice pet snake is fine, but a loose, strange snake? I'd be searching my entire house trying to seal up every little hole I could find.
    Speaking of snakes, is there any truth to snakes coming up through your sewer pipes? Growing up, my parents always told me about "a friend of a friend" who had a huge snake climb up through their toilet and curl up under their rug. They supposedly had to leave their bathroom door shut for a few days until pest control could come get rid of it, etc.(insert your own embellishments here) I could only imagine if you were sitting on the pot reading a magazine when it happened (shudder). Does this REALLY happen? Or is it another one of those urban legends?
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I've had some experience with a small garter snake loose in the house. Honestly, it's not that bad and the problem doesn't last long. At least it doesn't if you've got cats. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVDs
    "Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ryan Wright, I can't imagine that being any more true than the stories you hear about being bitten by a black widow lying underneath the toilet seat stories. Not that it couldn't happen, it's just that the embellishments make it extremely unlikely. What's even more unlikely is a snake making it's way from the sewer plant all the way to your house and into your toilet and into the bowl to bite you on your ass. Or even from a septic system for those of you without city sewers.
    Speaking of sewers, I'm wondering if the true news article about the person in Long Island, NY, who was killed when he was in his back yard and fell into the cesspool was nationwide? If you live in a place other than around NYC, have you heard about this incident, happened roughly 2 weeks ago or so, around the time all the shark attacks were happening.
    Authorities say he would of sufficated/passed out in about 30 seconds from all the methane gas.
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

5. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Jay - it could have been worse. Imagine if he would have lit a lighter or match to see where he was!
    As for snakes and spiders, I'll take snakes all day long. But I don't want EITHER of them in my house.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

7. Peter Harkess

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

My sister once found a tarantula in her apartment - ugh. I've got nothing against these critters, but I'd just as soon stay away from them...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    SteveGon, where does your sister live? Tarantulas aren't native to most places in America, none that I know of east of the mississippi river. The only tarantulas that exist in the USA that I know of are in the SW, texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc... If I found a tarantula in my house, I'd jump up and down and be really happy! [​IMG]
    Jay
    ------------------
    Wanna help?

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  11. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

12. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Julie K, two of my tarantulas (aka Ts) are native to Mexico, they're scrubland terrestrial (live on the ground) Ts.
    Itsy is a Mexican Redleg (aka Mexican Fireleg) or Brachypelma boehmei
    Bitsy is a Mexican Redknee (the famous kind, the ones you most likely see in any movie is the redknee, very docile and nowhere near the killer the movies always portray it. Can be seen in movies such as Sleepy Hollow, Jungle 2 Jungle, also a bunch of Bond movies, the one Jim Carrey movie with him in the red car (I forget the name cause I haven't seen it).
    Bitsy is a Brachypelma smithi.
    Both the boehmei and the smithi are CITES (appendix) II species which means no legal importation from Mexico is allowed and that means both of mine are captive bred.
    I got them from http://www.petcenterusa.com So as long as you aren't terribly allergic to the bristles, i.e. do NOT get it in your eyes and wash your hands after working with a new world Ts cage, etc. etc. they make great pets and are good for show and tell [​IMG] Plus, many species are relatively cheap. Easier to maintain than fish and cool to show your friends.
    Oh, I also have a Chilean Rose which was free, he's a tiny little guy and seems to be fasting right now... like for 3 months so far... strange beings but that's why I like em..
    Jay
    ------------------
    Wanna help?
    [Edited last by Jay H on September 21, 2001 at 06:51 AM]

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

16. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Jay,
    Thanks for that wonderful information on tarantulas. The temptation grows and grows [​IMG]
    (I'm also very tempted by a giant millipede as well. I suppose I can have several different creepy pets.)
    ------------------
    My DVDs
    "Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

17. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Marianne PITA

18. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Jay H
    From the Land of Obscuria, had this to say....

19. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Im particularly fond of Africa's Gaboon Viper with its 2 inch fangs [​IMG]
    Ive caught a number of Black Widow spiders whenever i go hunting, now i just leave them alone. If i knew of some pet shop that would buy them from me, id catch more [​IMG]
    Ive also seen a number of Tarantulas when i go hunting. Once i was staring out the screen window of my ground blind (moonlit night) and all of a sudden i see the silhouette of a Tarantula, it was really cool, till i realized it was on the inside [​IMG].
    P.S. My Rattle Snake is about 2 feet long now [​IMG], i caught him when he was about 8 inches.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."
    [Edited last by Henry Carmona on September 22, 2001 at 11:49 AM]
    [Edited last by Henry Carmona on September 22, 2001 at 11:49 AM]

20. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Henry, tarantulas (in the wild at least) are mostly nocturnal feeders, just like alot of reptiles, amphibians, etcs...
    Scott, yes the guy basically fell into his septic tank. Most of the newer ones are made of a one piece reinforced concrete structure that is basically made and dropped into a hole, but many older houses are made with cinder block and they are very week. Also, the guy just had the tank flushed the previous Sunday so it was also fairly empty. A horribly way to die, nonetheless. Many people around here are replacing theirs because of that incident so the septic companies must be having a field day...
    Jay