A warning to Blu-ray owners re: water damage

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Vincent_P, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I just wanted to put this out there re: flood/water damage and Blu-ray discs. After a friend's apartment got flooded due to the recent superstorm, we've been picking through the damage and salvaging what we can. This includes going through hundreds of DVDs, HD-DVDs, and Blu-rays that were submerged in the flood. While I knew the cover art was gone, I figured I'd be able to salvage all of the discs themselves. In the cases of the DVDs and HD-DVDs, no problem- they all cleaned off fine. In the case of the Blu-rays, not so lucky. So far, I have five Blu-rays that have been destroyed due to the water damage (including two Criterion titles). It seems the water got under the anti-scratch protection layer, fogging the discs and rendering them unplayable. Just a word of warning- water and Blu-rays don't mix!
    Vincent

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Oof. Good to know. Best of luck to your friend -- I've been maniacal about taking pictures for insurance purposes ever since my crappy old apartment was robbed over ten years ago.

3. BJQ1972

BJQ1972 Stunt Coordinator

Barrie Quinn
    The reason that optical discs use polycarbonate rather than other polymers with similar optical properties is because of polycarbonate's low water absorption, so they should be OK with water, but if it is a problem with the durabis, as you suspect, that is very good to know.

4. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I'm pretty certain it was the anti-scratch layer, as it was literally buckling and peeling off the discs, as well.
    Vincent

5. BJQ1972

BJQ1972 Stunt Coordinator

Barrie Quinn
    It certainly sounds like the anti-scratch layer if they've gone cloudy. The single layer of PC compared to the double layer of PC in a DVD should make water ingress less likely.