What's new

A tv show on dvd extra...that is cheap and would be very popular.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was just reading how someone was upset that Space:Above & Beyond ended with a cliffhanger. I can think of a number of shows that ended with no resolution. I think a cheap and great extra for shows like this. Would be to have the shows creators and writers do a featurette that explains how things would have been resolved and/or questions answered.

Here are some short run shows that ended with cliffhangers that need answers. C'mon studios please consider this!!

-Space:Above & Beyond
-Now & Again
-John Doe (this is the worst of them all)
-Earth 2

I am sure there are dozens more. But, you get the idea.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
It sounds good in theory... but it many cases it wouldn't be possible.

Many times, the second part of a cliffhanger isn't written before the show's cancellation. And, since most shows are written more or less by committee, with many writer's meetings along the way - there may not be any firm consensus on how the show would end.

Just one illustrative case: Michael Piller wrote the Star Trek: TNG episode, "The Best of Both Worlds: Part I." He then planned to leave the show, and leave the resolution to the story to an entirely different writer. When he was talked into continuing on with the show, he was somewhat dismayed that he had written himself into a corner, and needed to come up with a resolution. He had planned on sticking that task to someone else.

Some shows, however, are at least partially sketched out for a season - at least if there is a continuing thread. These would be more likely to have someone who could give a capsule review. I'm sure that Joss Whedon, for instance, had some idea where he was going with Firefly - and thankfully, we'll see what he had in mind in the film Serenity.

But, yes... if it's possible, it would be a nice idea. I'd love to see what was in the future of Earth 2

-Scott

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Another show that would be great to know how the creator wanted the series to end would be Popular. It ended with a huge cliffhanger, and a resolution would have been a great addition to the set.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The original V series from 1984-85 never had a proper conclusion to it as well. That would have been nice to see, had the series continued into a second season. It's too bad that the entire series is now on DVD, I would have loved to have seen some sort of commentary on how everything would have been resolved.

And for that matter, the original Star Trek never had a proper ending as well. That was also a series that on the S3 set could have also benefitted from a discussion on how it would have properly ended.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, it didn't exactly have much of a macrostory to begin with.

I have to admit, though, if it were a series I'd created, I'd be tempted to keep it to myself even when asked. I mean, that's a story you could tweak and get paid for down the line.

Daniel_Diam

Auditioning
I almost picked up my remote and threw it at the television after the ending to The Lone Gunmen episode "All About Eves." I had never seen this show before, and had no idea it ended on a cliffhanger. I would love to have seen how the Gunmen got out of trouble, or hear Chris Carter explain the ending.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Thanks John. I think I remember reading that. But, their was so much more that needed explaining. Besides, I loved that show. I don't think I was ever so angry about a show being cancelled as that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ian, that's The X-Files Season Nine premiere when that happens. The XF episode (also available on TLG set) that 'ties up' The Lone Gunmen series involves all the characters from that show. While it does pick up a year after The Lone Gunmen finale, it's more closure than most cancelled shows get:)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I think this has been previously discussed in some other thread, possibly when either Earth 2 or Space: Above And Beyond was announced for DVD. It would certainly be a nice touch, although as already pointed out, sometimes even the writers and producers themselves haven't really decided which way to go yet.

For that matter, how about when there's a major change in behind-the-scenes personnel? I'm thinking of when Sorkin left the West Wing at the end of Season 4, leaving a nice big cliffhanger for Wells to sort out. Would Sorkin have gone the same way as Wells did? For that matter, if he hadn't left, would he have created such a cliffhanger in the first place? The Piller story above with TNG suggests Sorkin might not have -- indeed, sometimes I think the "resolution" to the cliffhanger end of Best of Both Worlds Part 1 is a bit of a damp squib. All that drama, leading to Riker ordering "fire", and then...

As for ST:TOS, one could argue that it did in fact get a resolution -- in the movies.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
SOAP ended in a major cliffhanger. Four of them in fact. Danny was about to be shot by Chester. Jody was trapped in a past life as an old Jewish man. Burt was walking into an ambush. Jessica was in front of a firing squad and you actually heard the guns go off and Jessica flinched. I would give anything if the writers at the time would do a featurette on how they were going to resolve the cliffhanger is season 5 on the final DVD set of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks