What's new

A-Team Season 3 on DVD! (1 Viewer)

James.M

Stunt Coordinator

We've just had Rockford Files season one released on Region 2. Before the Region one release. It might be possible.

Odd to hear about these problems some people have had with the R1 releases. I've had no such issues on any of my DVD players with them. Some DVD players are just a bit more picky when it comes to certain discs it seems.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

For the time being, expect a decent number of the "classics" TV releases from Universal (regardless of whether or not the box sports the "classic television" banner across the top like Baa Baa Black Sheep does) to arrive first in Europe, then in N. America. The Bionic box sets are a pair of examples. This will not happen across-the-board, though...it varies. I have not discovered what the motive is for this. Probably it just has to do with scheduling issues and rights issues and that sort of thing. It's probably nothing planned; it's just working out that way.

Gord is trying to research the whole technical problems thing.

John*D

Second Unit
My first Disc of S2 had some skipping, but it appeared to be from scratches. I returned the set and got a new one...

It worked perfectly, and I just finished the set today...

Bring on seasons 3-5. I aslo can't wait for the new MOVIE (whenever FOX decides to start it up).

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Thanks! Please keep us informed. I really do want to invest in some of these series, but at this time I have no confidence whatsoever in Universal's R1 boxes. :-(

JR

WillLon

Agent
Real Name
Wil
I think the problem with the dual-sided dual-layer discs is the transparent glue used on the inside to join the top of the 2 playing surfaces together often contains minor imperfections when pressing the 2 sides together.

The DVD laser sees the imperfection instead of data, resulting in a skip, freeze or jitter in the picture.

The A-Team episode "When You Coming Back, Range Rider?" has this problem at the start in the 2 sets I attempted to purchase. The picture freezes and then you're suddenly 20 minutes into the episode! The discs were returned for store credit and I haven't bought any Universal DVDs since.

If the discs were dual-layer but single-sided, this wouldn't be an issue. The top of the disc would be sealed by the lacquer of the DVD artwork printed on it.

I'm convinced that even if you don't see the problem during playback now you'll see it later on. The glued layers will separate slightly like laser-rot on old laserdiscs.

I hope Universal switches to single-sided DVD releases, even if prices are adjusted accordingly. If they did, I'd re-buy the R1 A-Team DVDs in a flash...

John H Ross

Screenwriter
That explanation sounds very reasonable to me. It absolutely sucks :-(

The problem is, the R2 (UK) discs omit the "teaser" at the start of each episode (on both The A-Team and Knight Rider sets, and probably all the other Universal series) so they're incomplete.

This begs the question... what other regions are there? Are the Japanese sets okay? Are they single sided? And do they contain the full teasers?

JR

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yeah it would be nice if Universal would switch to single sided dvd's and make the sets 6-disc instead of 3. I don't see why cost would be a factor with these. Look at Paramount with Macgyver they release them on single-sided dvd's and the price is about $10 lower than universal sets. Universal could still use 3 thin cases, just stick 2 dvd's in each case and the packaging will be the same size if that is a concern they have, with retailer shelf space and all.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I had the exact same problem with the Range Rider episode. It got better later, but it was a problem early in the episode. Didn't exchange it since it was too late after I'd received it as a gift when I started watching them. Maybe try a Christmas "no receipt" exchange in a few months?

I'm working my way through S2 now, so I'm looking forward to the release of s3 ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks