What's new

A Star Wars "Movie" For My Best Friend (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My best pal died in 1993. I've created a series of short movies to honor his memory. This is episode III, dealing with a Star Wars spoof we shot 35 years ago but never finished. Empire had been out a year when we made it.

Recently I found the 35mm film, matte paintings and models. Using them, I finished the project. I post it here as much for Star Wars fans that might find it humorous as I do to honor the memory of my talented friend.

We had made a lot of audio dramas before this, but this was our first attempt to combine sound with picture.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment.

I like the idea that as long as we bring what they gave us into our everyday lives in meaningful ways, people we have loved and lost actually live on through us. David made me to laugh (episode I), gave me confidence with women (episode II) and, as you saw in episode III, he pushed me to grow creatively, to find focus in my eventual career path. What more can one human do for another? I was blessed by his friendship.

I include the other two episodes here, along with my 2006 tribute, for completeness. Episode II is my favorite. What it dramatizes certainly changed my life the most.

Episode II - "Draw Her Ass" (2:52)

Episode I - The Apple (3:17)

2006 Tribute (6:25)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's a nice tribute to your buddy. Since I'm not old enough to really remember those early days of SW and ESB, I'm fascinated by that time- the toys, comics, books, fandom, whatever- so it's always great to see something from that era. As a fan of Star Wars, it's wonderful to see it have a positive and inspiring influence on people.

And "Not much of a speller, are you?" made me laugh.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
That's a nice tribute to your buddy. Since I'm not old enough to really remember those early days of SW and ESB, I'm fascinated by that time- the toys, comics, books, fandom, whatever- so it's always great to see something from that era. As a fan of Star Wars, it's wonderful to see it have a positive and inspiring influence on people.

And "Not much of a speller, are you?" made me laugh.
Thanks for your comments. Until I found those slides, I had forgotten much of it, as well. We just wanted to make movies so badly. Also, thanks for telling me which line made you laugh. I wrote that 35 years ago so that laugh was a long time coming.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Terrific tribute to your friend, thank you for sharing them all!
You're very welcome. Thanks for your comment. As I move toward the end of my film-making career, I'm finding that looking back and expressing gratitude for those who supported me at the beginning is helping me accept the life change that is coming. It' would be so easy after all the years to think I did it all myself, but nothing could be further from the truth. It feels incredibly good to practice gratitude. I just have to keep doing it in the days ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks