What's new

A Sneak Peek at Zulu and Khartoum (1 Viewer)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Am anxiously waiting the arrival of my KHARTOUM, a title I'd really been hoping for in BD form. Along with some posters here, I didn't go for the ZULU because I thought the UK one was fine and I'm beginning to hold back on re-buying titles, including the new MAD MAD WORLD, although the extended version will probably win me over. I hope that TT will dig into the Fox/MGM libraries even deeper and release more of the wide screen "epics" I loved so as a youth. It would be a dream to own films like THE VIKINGS, SOLOMON AND SHEBA, THE STORY OF RUTH, FRANCIS OF ASSISI, KINGS OF THE SUN or a gorgeous BD upgrade of the recent MOD DVD release of BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF. Supposedly the source print of the last was extremely good and, wow, that Herrmann score. How about it, TT?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
TT sent me my USPS tracking # on Thursday for Khartoum and 4 others. Due to be delivered on Saturday. Go figure.

Looks like it will be a busy weekend! :)

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Dubstar said:
from what I've been hearing Nick Redman states 6-track 70mm audio is 'lost' - that doesn't add up, since 'restored' 70mm prints were shown at both the AFI Silver and Film Society of Lincoln Center in 2012 (I saw and heard it at the former) and the original five front channel/mono surround mix was intact (and I'm pretty sure it was not the original mag sound but encoded DTS discs - which would suggest the original audio has been archived digitally).
We asked MGM/UA again about the audio elements for KHARTOUM and they unequivocally state they have NOTHING beyond the 2.0…so unfortunately yes, for all intents and purposes, those elusive 6-tracks are missing or lost...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Charles Smith said:
Does SAE stagger shipments on new releases? A number of people are reporting having received one or more of this month's Twilight Time titles, while I haven't even gotten a shipping notice -- and I ordered all four of them on day one. And wasn't the original target date next week? Not that that matters, I'm fine with early shipments! :) Just wondering.
I imagine Zulu is holding up your order. I made one order including both Zulu and Man in the Dark and a separate Khartoum order. I received Khartoum yesterday white the first order still hasn't shipped. While I see people have received Man in the Dark already, I've seen no sign that Zulu has shipped for anybody.

Dubstar

Agent
Real Name
Jonathan Goeldner
so you a restore a 70mm print but don't keep the original audio stems - yeah, um, that makes perfect sense...

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
JoHud said:
I imagine Zulu is holding up your order. I made one order including both Zulu and Man in the Dark and a separathe Khartoum order. I received Khartoum yesterday white the first order still hasn't shipped. While I see people have received Man in the Dark already, I've seen no sign that Zulu has shipped for anybody.
ZULU is supposedly included in my shipment which is due Saturday.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
My order hasn't shipped either. The same thing happened on the Oliver! shipment. I had about three titles I wanted that week, and my friends who only cared about Oliver! got their shipments a week before I did. I guess those ordering multiple titles get their orders filled later.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
My shipping notice, which I received Wednesday at 1:02 PM, included Khartoum & Zulu.Man in the Dark, ordered separately, shipped on Monday (and I received the physical package yesterday).

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Okay, thanks for the update. Looks like mine will ship any day now.

askari23

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Thompson
My first post to the forums! I received my copies of both Zulu and Khartoum and could not be happier with the results. The transfers look brilliant! Unfortunately, the packaging on the discs I received were not so great. It seems there has been a switch to the Eco Cases. As a long time collector, I am very particular about having mint packaging as well as mint discs. Is there a particular reason that Twilight Time has switched to these type of cases. I strongly believe that they tend to degrade the overall presentation of a limited edition product. Twilight Time always does such a magnificent job with the disc and cover art, it seems a shame to potentially ruin the overall effect by using these inexpensive Eco cases. I sincerely implore Twilight Time to reconsider and switch back to the old cases which did such a great job of supporting their fine releases. Just my two cents for what it is worth.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Brian:

Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif

It would be very interesting to hear why distributors have turned to these cases (which many collectors do not like). My guess will be a simple matter of cost.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
askari23 said:
My first post to the forums! I received my copies of both Zulu and Khartoum and could not be happier with the results. The transfers look brilliant! Unfortunately, the packaging on the discs I received were not so great. It seems there has been a switch to the Eco Cases. As a long time collector, I am very particular about having mint packaging as well as mint discs. Is there a particular reason that Twilight Time has switched to these type of cases. I strongly believe that they tend to degrade the overall presentation of a limited edition product. Twilight Time always does such a magnificent job with the disc and cover art, it seems a shame to potentially ruin the overall effect by using these inexpensive Eco cases. I sincerely implore Twilight Time to reconsider and switch back to the old cases which did such a great job of supporting their fine releases. Just my two cents for what it is worth.
Welcome to the HTF…with regard to the new cases this is something our manufacturers, Cinram, did unilaterally without asking us and it will be rectified by the next batch of releases…sorry for any inconvenience.

All best,

Nick.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Eco cases serve only one purpose: to annoyImagine the treehuggers reactions when they discover that people actually throw those eco cases away and replace them with normal cases further poisoning the environment :P

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Twilight Time said:
Welcome to the HTF…with regard to the new cases this is something our manufacturers, Cinram, did unilaterally without asking us and it will be rectified by the next batch of releases…sorry for any inconvenience.

All best,

Nick.
Nick:

Thanks for that response! And I'll tell you THAT is an answer that will be music to a lot of ears on this forum. :thumbsup:

askari23

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Thompson
Now I know why I admire and respect Twilight Time as much as I do! What a classy company!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave B Ferris said:
My shipping notice, which I received Wednesday at 1:02 PM, included Khartoum & Zulu.Man in the Dark, ordered separately, shipped on Monday (and I received the physical package yesterday).
Man, it seems like my orders at SAE always ship out later than many here. I ordered the same three titles and they still haven't shipped out.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Man, it seems like my orders at SAE always ship out later than many here. I ordered the same three titles and they still haven't shipped out.
There may be some variables at play. One of the orders was paid by Paypal; the other order was charged to a credit card.I'm just reporting a variable - I am not asserting that PayPal orders are pushed to the front of the line.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
cineMANIAC said:
Eco cases serve only one purpose: to annoyImagine the treehuggers reactions when they discover that people actually throw those eco cases away and replace them with normal cases further poisoning the environment :P
And I'm one of those who do exactly that.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
No shipping notices on my end either, BUT-- none of them are Xmas presents this time! So I'm cool with waiting. Got all three save for ZULU (I have the UK version).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks