A Sneak Peek at The Blue Max

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by haineshisway, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Yes, there's teal. And blue, green, gray, brown, black, red, orange, yellow...Ended up watching the whole thing, Bruce's evaluation is spot on. It looked wonderful on the projector at 8' wide.

2. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I was actually ready to hear this for Fox's THE INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS. Which I thought was an excellent transfer and replicated what it would have looked like on the big CinemaScope screen back in its release year.

3. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Well, after all... It is The Blue Max. ;)

ahollis and Peter Apruzzese like this.
  4. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    And it is on BLU-ray.

ahollis likes this.
  5. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    And George Peppard's eyes are very BLUE!

ahollis likes this.
  6. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    And I'm feeling mighty BLUE because my copy hasn't even shipped yet. :(

ahollis likes this.
  7. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Stunt Coordinator

You are not alone, Reed,

8. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I'll also feel very BLUE (in a certain part of my body), if TT (no pun intended) did not use the international cut showing Ms. Andress's breasts.

9. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    You have no need to fear.

lukejosephchung, bujaki and ahollis like this.
  10. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    What I'll be watching tonight... Finally :)

[​IMG]

11. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Got my shipping notice from Screen Archives Monday...should be getting this and the rest of my order in 3-5 business days!!!

12. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

^ If you're lucky, Luke. I had a shipping notice for Blue Max and The Front last Tuesday; as of today, still waiting. Of course Monday was a holiday, so I'm not worried (yet).I ordered Thunderbolt last Friday; still no shipping notice, but - again - Monday was a holiday.

13. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    The BLUE MAX transfer is sumptuous. The isolated score is sublime.

I said it before, and I'll say it again... They just don't make 'em like this anymore!

davidHartzog, David_B_K and ahollis like this.
  14. billlit

billlit Auditioning

This film is not brown and flat - but those who will compare the inevitable screen caps will say, well this one has a teal or blue push and they'll either just assume the completely wrong previous incarnations were correct or they'll certainly raise the specter of something being off in this new transfer. Nothing's off. The blues are glorious and perfect for a film of that era. PERFECT. And so are the lush greens and the true reds and the gray grays and every gradation of all those colors. PERFECT...for those who mistakenly found Desk Set too blue (it, too, was perfect), I'm sure the same will apply here and it will be just as mistaken.

Well...that's a very interesting take on the way this Blue Max transfer looks...to you. And of course how wrong those of us who would disagree with you are, but the fact remains that there's quite a color "push" on this transfer (more in the nature of dark cyan rather than teal) that overwhelms the grays and browns of the photography. (Take a look at the HD transfer on VUDU for the way the picture should look.) You might take another less emotional look at the transfer. Even at 68, these old eyes still have perfect color vision.

15. willyTass

willyTass Second Unit

Billit

not that anyone put me out of my misery by explaining it , but I've since learnt that many films from this vintage have a certain colour look : the blues look this way because they were this way. They are accurate to the source and that's what Fox have done which is a good thing. Inn of the sixth Happiness for example, . I'll now step aside as Bruce sharpens his knives ;) :)

16. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I was sharpening them but will not use them, because the post above is so wrongheaded. I'll simply say that The Blue Max has absolutely perfect color for a film of that era. The transfer has no push, it's simply correct for the first time. Nothing overwhelms anything - there are grays, browns and every other color. But I leave "billit" to his faded Eastmancolor and the rest of us can shout hosannah to Fox for doing it right. Thank the Lord there's someone there who understands what the color on these films actually looked like. And exactly what kind of "emotional" look did I take at the transfer in the first place? I put it on, saw a beautiful transfer, immediately compared it to the faded, brown mess that was the German Blu-ray, and made my post. And least Mr. Billit didn't feel it necessary in THIS thread to make a rather unnecessary and extremely snarky remark directed at Julie Kirgo. Please.

BPullen, Jack K, lark144 and 2 others like this.
  17. billlit

billlit Auditioning

Oh, come on, Bruce...knives is it matey? And how much teal d'ye see in nature each and every day outside of bathroom rugs and ducks, eh? Never mind the "Mr. Billit", that would've been my dad's sig. I'm Bill Littman and I've no memory of teal, cyan and such viewing BLUE MAX way back when at my Baltimore downtown theater. But if you're happy with teal-smothered gray German uniforms, more power to you. (Although I'd love to hear D.P. Douglas Slocombe's take on teal. He's still around at 100. You might ask him). I haven't seen the German blu-ray, only the HD VUDU print. And I A-B'd the Twilight with the VUDU and...well. Like the Missourians say...
    And when you mention "color for a film of that era" (sic), are you talking about Deluxe labs or Eastman stock from the mid-Sixties?
    As for Julie, I've read most everything she's written and was hoping for some substance by now...no such luck. I would like to read some good musical info and scene-specific cue comments from her, but for now, hold on to those old liner notes. Sorry about the level of snarkness, but in no way does it match the level of teal.

18. RichMurphy

RichMurphy Stunt Coordinator

Rich
    Given how many variables can be introduced between the original camera negative and the image from a projected release print (or for that matter, a video display), I am always amused by these heated discussions as to what the absolute correct colors in a given situation should be.

One indisputable but minor error of fact: Mr. Slocombe is now 101, as of this month. (and wouldn't the Blu-Ray release of THE MUSIC LOVERS, his crowning achievement in my opinion, be a lovely birthday present to us all).

ROclockCK and FoxyMulder like this.
  19. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Again, I leave you to the faded Eastman internegatives and I and others will enjoy this perfect transfer. I'm curious how "color for a film of that era" gets a "sic" but the question "are you talking about Deluxe labs or Eastman stock from the mid-Sixties" doesn't. Deluxe was a lab, Eastman was a stock - Deluxe processed Eastman stock, just like other labs (not talking about Technicolor, which also processed Eastman stock and printed in dye transfer). Other than that, we can obviously agree to disagree.

20. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    I am not going to use the word "teal".

I did watch The Blue Max from TT last night and found it just slightly blue in comparison to my memory. I do recognize that the film did look blue in its original release, but it is a matter of degree. Easily adjusted on my projector if I want; the problem is small.

My experience with the film is a week of projecting it at a drive-in in summer of 1967, just before I left being a union projectionist to go to grad school. I remember it very well and have always considered it under-rated.

Just my opinion.

davidHartzog likes this.