What's new

A simple speaker question, Dahlquist... (1 Viewer)

Dwayne F

Auditioning
I feel pretty dumb asking this question. I just received my speakers and receiver. Dahlquist speakers are QX5's, QX50C, and QX125 sub, and the HK 225 receiver. I saw on the back of the speakers that there is a type of plastic nut that screws up and down, on the metal post there is a hole, do I just strip the speaker cable and stick the wire through the hole and tighten that plastic nut down? I assume I need banana plugs to go into the receiver.

For all those thinking this guy is to dumb to have a HT, leave me alone =)

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Dwayne,

Yep. That's how it works. You can also, if you're using pin-type connectors, insert them into the hole.

HTH

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Not dumb at all, best to pose the question before damaging your new equipment! I helped a friend not long ago, he wasn't getting any sound out of his speakers, when I checked his wiring job, he stripped the wires but pushed the wire through so far, that the insulation was being tightened down on and not the bare wire...

Sounds like a nice setup, enjoy!!!
G2

Dwayne F

Auditioning
Thanks guys, I got the receiver, DVD player (old RCA), and receiver hooked up, nothing to the TV yet. I haven't read the manual that came with the HK 225, but I am not getting as much sound as I thought I would. The volume selection is 80-0, I don't start getting sound till its down to 45 and about 25 is comfortable listening. I figure I need to do some more digging and get the TV display up to use the EZ-setup feature.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Dwayne, that's actually quite typical for modern A/V receivers to yield little audible volume until what seems to be very late in the volume control's range.

MichaelSLB

Agent
Dwayne,

Please let me know what you think of your new system after
a few good movies! I'd love to hear your opinions, as I'm
sure Marc would, too. :)

And as Chuck pointed out, your receiver is acting totally
normal.

Just make sure you read all of the manuals thoroughly...
you'd be suprised how much this can help.

Enjoy!

Michael

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Dwayne- On an AV receiver 0 is considered reference level. Reference level being the volume the audio is intended to play at for movies.

Your volumes are pretty much what I listen at.

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, not on the Harmon receiver. In the manual they said to calibrate using EZ-set up at -15db. 0db is the max on the volume control.

At between -15db to -10db (depending on the source)my HK AV520 and Klipsch speakers play louder than a typical local theater.

Dwayne F

Auditioning
yeah the -15db is pretty good for movies, loud enough for the effect but not bothering neighbors. I haven't been much past that, but I do know it will go to +10 when I didn't have a source connected. So far its sounds good. I just have it half rig'd up at my parents house until I get my place after the first of the year and can mess with speaker placement and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks