What's new

A simple plate amp box project. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's my mini-weekend project that's almost done, still need one more clear coat to finish the paint job:
The PAB: Plate Amp Box.
Who knew a simple box for a plate amp could be so time consuming...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Looks nearly the same as mine which took less then 1 hour to assemble and 1 hour for the paint to dry. Of course, I did not put on near the fancy finish like you. I did save time by cutting the corners of the box at 45 degree angles.
Peace Out~:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I thought about yours when I was planning mine. I did decide on having all of the inputs/outputs on the front panel, and I think I came up with the best compromise without having to resort to a terminal cup. I used the t-nuts in case I wanted to play around the resistor values to try different amp configurations. It was extra work, but I think it was worth it in the long run. It was definitely a good idea to smooth over all the edges. :)

VinhT

Second Unit
Amazing job as always, Pat. I've always admired your thorough documentation. And thanks for including the cans of primer and lacquer in the photos. It helps to know what specific types I should use.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Vinh.

BTW, I've finished the PAB, and you can see the final few shots at the same link from the first post in this thread.

Eduardo

Agent
Pat as always - you the man. I also built my amp box this weekend. I used Ron-P's design. I will probably be using a terminal cup too. I started my web page, so pics of Sonsub construction and amp box will be up soon.
fb
home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez. The bonus room of my house will be where I set up my HT when we move in at the end of June.
On an off note - have you named your DIY sub? I am thinking of naming mine "The ShivaSS" (Shiva-SonoSub) and it rymes with kick ass.
As always thanks for the help and encouragement.

Eduardo

Agent
I'm bringing back this old thread becuase I am going to be finishing my sub soon :emoji_thumbsup:. Completing this project has taken a lot longer than I hoped.
Anyways - I made an PAB similar to Pat Sun's and Ron P's. My question is ventelation. Should I drill vent holes in the box or leave it totally enclosed?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just make sure the heat sinks have proper ventilation. The backside of the amp is designed to be totally enclosed if need be.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I made one similar to P@s a couple months ago. It only took me a couple hours total. About an hour to make the box, sand and round over the edges. Another hour to PRIME and PAINT it. I'd post a picture of it but right now it's under a layer of MDF dust from my 6 speaker project in the works.
When those are done I'll post pictures of everything. Although not to Pat's extensive documentary standards.

If Pat spent less time taking pictures, he'd have more time to put a finish on them. At least they all match.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Oooooooooh. Now, I guess that answers my question of sub mounted amp or external amp. Very nice Pat, thanks yet again for the good documentation.
now my only hope is that all the tools I'll need are at the shop at school. Otherwise, we'll see how creative I am. :)

Eduardo

Agent
Thanks for the response Pat. The heat fins will be facing up or out, depending if I lay it on the floor or mount it to a wall.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
The 'extra' set of binding posts he added are the outputs, meaning you would hook up the speaker to that. The ones that are physically on the plate are inputs.
Normally the output on these amps are wires that run from the backside because people traditionally mount them to the walls of their sub enclosures and those wires run straight to the driver. But with mounting to a box those wires now have to run outside of the box through those binding posts and to the speaker.
Hope that makes sence :)

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Patrick,
I thought you never "finished" your projects or is it just speakers, damn now I am going to have to finish mine I cant use you for an excuse.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks