What's new

A Sign Of The Double Dips to Come On HD Media (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
over in the James Bond thread i saw a quote from Lowry, who's doing the restorations for those films, that caught my eye

i can just see the eventually double dips, after the novelty of being wowed by a HD transfer that was originally created in 2000 is compared with a 2010 transfer created by scanning frames in at 4K.

so anyone planning on sitting out the first generation of every big titles release, to wait for that 'better' version that is sure to come a several years later?
i'm betting we will see the first HD double dip around 2010/2011.

seems a ways away now, but boy did the last 5 years fly by fast (for me anyway)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
No. I'd rather enjoy a movie I really like for five years rather than fret about whether or not I'll spend another $15-$20 years and years down the line.

John*D

Second Unit
...and again and again and again.

Buy now and enjoy it now...

There's always the option of HDnetflix (I would guess they would upgrade?)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Once an established* high definition format, with no required computer hookup, and no possibility of divx type pay-per-view or watching moratoriums becomes available, I'll upgrade any of my dvds that come out on that format and have significant improvement in picture quality.

I fully expect that I'll still be watching my current dvds for a long, long time to come.

* - in other words, after the end of any format wars.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
This is nothing new. From laserdisc to dvds(especially now) to the HD formats it's all about getting you to spend more of your money for an improved transfer, or a new grain reduction technique or some other new method to make it seem like a "brand-new movie". Now, having said that, I really like Lowry's work for the Indy movies and North by Northwest. They look like pristine IP prints of the original movies, not "like it was shot yesterday" which gets tossed around so much it makes me sick. Compare those movies and other great restoration work to the Star Wars Trilogy dvds and you can see how dangerous trying to alter a film's original look can be.

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
Seeing as I don't have anything with HDMI inputs yet, I'm gonna be sitting this generation of releases. Once the format war ends, things stabilize, and I upgrade my system, then I'll start looking into the next-generation of DVD... whatever it may be at that time.

I think that I'm going to sit out this next round altogether. I've invested quite a lot of money in my collection, which is around 850 movies now; I'd like to not repeat the process again so soon. I'm sure I'll be drooling with some titles like Lawrence of Arabia, but I'm not sure that I'm enough of a detail person to notice the difference.

That being said, I'm sure that I'll see some display that will make my mouth water, but I've got to be strong! :)

Fred

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

They have been doing 4K transfers for a while now. I believe Singing in the Rain & The Adventures of Robin Hood are 4K transfers.
Do you mean to say you think it will be 2010 before we see 4K HD discs?

I know I'll pass on the first gen soft/hardware HD. I can't afford it. And it will not have the features to get me to buy anyway. Like 1080p titles & 1080p output players.

It might be 2010, before I'll buy HD. However not because they won't be doing 4K transfers till then.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
If there's no required internet connectivity, and if there's a single format (or one format wins the "war"), I will purchase when there is a player for under $500 which has 1080p output.

I don't mind double-dipping on titles when the video has been improved, so I won't necessarily hesitate at a 1080i presentation, as long as the player itself can pass 1080p when the disks do.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I've made up my mind that I can't think like that. If I had waited for the double dips, I wouldn't have had the and thousands thousands of hours of pure joy given me by VHS first, then laserdiscs and now DVD's.

Every DVD I've purchased and replaced was money well spent, in my view, because I love the damned things to the point of fetish. Besides, look how long it's taken for some titles to come out, even after the arrival of each new technology! Forget it, I'm buying every single title I want to have as soon as they come out.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WoW
Wish I had your money Gerardo!
I could never afford to buy a title on VHS, widescreen VHS, LD, LD CAV, DVD, DVD SE, HD, & then HD 1080p. I can maybe buy three versions, however... four, five... or more? No way. As you say, I can enjoy the title. However I'll wait awhile till the super duper version comes out before I repurchase.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Ed, it's more of matter of choice spending than personal wealth -- movies are just about the only thing I completely indulge in.

When DVD's arrived, I had a few LD's I hadn't even gotten around to watching and they all ended up in a nice box as a donation to a local charity because by then I couldn't get more than 3 bucks a piece for them.

Last night, for instance, I was watching the commentary on THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT, one of my favorite 700 movies. Now really, how long do you think it'll be before this movie is reissued in HD or Super HD or Ultra HD? Is it worth waiting? Not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.