What's new

A SHIVA SUB in a car??????????? (1 Viewer)

Brook

Agent
I recently heard a lot of systems in cars or trucks. My friend just bought a truck with 2 12" subs. I know someone else who also has 2 12"s in his car and it just doesn't sound good at all. I'm used to hearing my Shiva 12" in my room, and mine would be the hell of out those any day.

So my question would this work putting one, or if possible two, in a car? And how big would the box have to be? If it would work it would sound much much better than any of those Best Buy subs!

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I am not expert in car audio, and I recommend Link Removed for a detailed answer. However, I know the short answer is "yes." People can and do put Shivas in cars all the time, and report good results.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
After some car folk discovered Adire (started with a certain someone taking a single Tempest and a 500W amp to an SPL comp and breaking 150dB) I ended up waiting almost 2 months for my Tempest. The price/performance absolutely beat the snot out of what they were used to.
The problem with the Shiva/Tempest in cars is they are designed for rather large boxes. Adire has a new series of drivers, the Brahma. These were designed for car use. Work well in tiny boxes, have extreme thow, large power handling and XBL^2 motor topology allows them to push their limits without distorting. Little pricy though, but not bad compared to what most car audio drivers are priced at.
http://www.adireaudio.com/car_audio/...hma_series.htm

Jack_P

Grip
I used to have a shiva in my car, but now I have a brahma 12.
The shiva was in a 1.5 cube box about .8 qtc and 400 watts
Brahma is now in a 1.0 cube box for a .707 qtc with 1200 watts

.707 works out pretty well for car audio because of cabin gain.

All Adire products are incredible for the money IMO. The brahma is no exception. Brahma is an extremely low distortion driver. With a long linear stroke. It blends extremely well with my midbasses. Hard to explain but it almost sounds as if the componets are playing really low. Doesn't really sound like a sub.

Shiva is a really nice driver in car for $125 you really cant go wrong.

I would be glad to answer any more questions that you might have.

Jack

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'm building a 4 cubic foot box for my tempest right now tuned to 24hz with dual flared vents. I like some punch in my car, while I leave the audiophile bass for home listening.
The box is a wedge shaped, internally braced, and powered by a 4 ohm 600 watt rms alpine amp.
I've also used a 214L tempest tuned to 15.4hz in my car before. I rolled down all the windows of my 4runner and played THX intros and dvd demos with the bass at over reference.
It was pretty cool to seeing people stopping several car lengths behind my car at stop lights. Most people stared and either gave dirty looks or big smiles. :)
(Of course I didn't do this very long and it was noon time.)
I assume that the twelves that you didn't like sounded boomy with a mid bass hump. With the Shiva, you can get boomy bass as well unless you design and tune it more like a HT sub. What's nice about car audio subs is they are designed for small boxes and for punchy bass. Home theater subs are more focused on low frequency extension and a smooth bass response.
It really depends what kind of sound you want I know people who would take a dual 10" car boomer over a 214L tempest anyday.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Why would someone want 150db levels in a car (or anywhere else, for that matter)? Only their audiologist knows for
sure. What, WHAT DID YOU SAY???

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't forget about the DVC 12 from Parts Express. Very similar to the Shiva but will work better in smaller boxes.

-Robert

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well this guy is being sponsored by Adire for car audio competitions.
Link Removed
I'd never get involved with that particular scene, but in a primal manly grunt how loud can I go kind of way you can appreciate it. The guy isn't stupid though. He does most of his setups in a way that they sound good and he listens at reasonable level. But he can just about always change something so that he is set for SPL burps (a good set of ear plugs in place when ever this is done though).
Here are a bunch of other installs:
http://www.adireaudio.com/car_audio/car_installs.htm
The scariest one is 9 Brahma 15 drivers in a van with 60,000W. It can approach 170dB. I wouldn't want to be anyhwere near that van, even with ear plugs :p)

ColtonA

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys and girls, I'm a new member here and this is my first post. First off I would like to say that I am and have been a member at caraudioforum.com for over 2 years. I have been involved in the car audio scene for over 7 years. Many people get the misconception that car audio enthusiasts just want loud bass, which is far from the truth. Many people at CAF are SQ oriented people and if they do want to crank the tunes they have no worries because there vehicles are heavily dampened with sound deadening material and or there windows rolled up. It's the select few individuals who give us a bad name. And as for the 150 DB comment, no, most people don't listen to there stereos that loud, its for competition purposes only. Why am I over here at home theater forum? Simple, I want to venture into another part of the audio world, and I'm really excited about it. As for the answer to your question, the Shiva is one of the most popular budget minded bang for bucks out there for car audio (as well as home theater). It beats out allot of subs in the $300 range and at the same time it's very flexible. It does well in small sealed or large ported/vented enclosures, although what you want for sound will be very dependent on your enclosure size and tuning. The Shiva has remarkable low end extension compared to allot of drivers I have reviewed, 1.43 cu ft. seems to yield the best QTC value. There Tempest is even better, an extremely efficient sub, people have been getting better results in ported application although allot still use larger sealed. The only downside to these 2 subs is they are home audio drivers and the wiring configurations suck big time. Now on to the brahma, this is where adire really shines. Probably the best bang for buck small sealed driver on the market. 28mm xmax and XBL^2 technology, this thing hangs with the big boys (JL W7, ND-12) and Dan, the owner, is a stand up guy. Hope this helps. :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I understand big boxes for home use. But I'm not very well versed for car audio stuff. So I'm the wrong guy to ask. But it appears as if it would work just peachy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks