A Remake of Straw Dogs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sturge, Aug 17, 2002.

1. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

Could you handle a remake of Straw Dogs?
    Fear Itself

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I really wish that Hollywood would heed the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

With anyone else but Norton this would be an instant brush off. But I'm kinda intrigued with his involvement. He's a powerhouse actor and a new version might add something to the original experience if it's done right.
    Even though I thought the original was very powerful, I wouldn't say I liked it all that much. If not for the rape controversy, I would guess it would have slipped away behind Wild Bunch and Cross of Iron, which IMO are far superior Peckinpah experiences.
    Norton [​IMG] Whatever you do will interest me.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Remember though, that sometimes these things do work out. A film like Fistful of Dollars, for example. Or Body Heat.
    Heck, even Red Dragon might surprise us.
    Not every remake is just hack crap. A lot of them are, but not all of them. [​IMG]

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I think it's a waste. I mean the original was excellent

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I could see it working. But, I think it would have to be a shot by shot remake, not something rewritten with new angles and plot. I've given up the fight on whether it's needed or not. Hollywood will do anything it wants because you know...money walks. Of course, another shot by shot disaster like Gus Van Sant's Psycho might be the poison Hollywood deserves.
    Bruce

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Cape Fear might be better than the original. It's damn close. And both have plenty of merit as films in their own right.
    I have a soft spot for the Sabrina remake, but I could see someone defending the original more.
    And following those two, what about Father of the Bride. I think the remake is just as good. Better, probably not. But enjoyable.
    Oh, and what about Invasion of the Body Snatchers. That's a really tough call. Or The Thing? I think that remake is BETTER actually.
    Bruce, I don't think it's always about money. Some singers do covers because they like the music, some directors/producers/actors do remakes because the appreciate the original in the same manner. That is how you end up with films like the one's listed above.
    We never have a problem with different troops doing a Broadway show or musical, but why not? Or Shakespeare? Everybody likes to take a shot at their interpretation of Shakespeare, and that definately isn't about money based on the success of most of those. [​IMG]

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Seth,
    Those opening comments in your last post are interesting, but I disagree with just about all of them. Furthermore, both "Thing" movies are great, but the directors behind both films Hawks/Nyby and Carpenter took different approaches in telling their stories, however, both efforts were successfully done. Of course, different film eras had a lot to do with those approaches.

Crawdaddy

9. Bruce Hedtke

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

In response to Seth's remarks about Invasion of the Body Snatcher, I was scared to bits when I watched the remake with Donald Sutherland & Leonard Nimoy. It was not until later that I discovered that this was remake, and when I watched the original later, I was more or less disappointed.
    The reverse is true about Vanilla Sky which although very good imo, the original Open Your Eyes is so much better.
    Oh well, in the end it is all about personal taste.
    [​IMG]

11. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

As soon as I saw this thread, before I opened it, I thought, "I bet they'll change the title."
    [​IMG]

12. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I really wish that Hollywood would heed the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Agreed. Especially when they tamper with films made outside of the Hollywood system like Straw Dogs and the upcoming Dawn of the Dead.

The key to a good remake (which are few and far between) is a talented Director who makes the film his/her own.

Examples of IMO good remakes are: (Already mentioned or just off the top of my head)

Ben-Hur ‘59& The Maltese Falcon ‘41 are both better than the originals.

Capenter's The Thing - Back when Carpenter had talent [​IMG]
    Conenberg's The Fly
    Both are as good as the originals.

Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Scorsese's Cape Fear
    John Sturges Magnificent Seven
    Sergio Leone's Fistful of Dollars
    All very good films but not as great as the originals

Unfortunately for every good remake I could name dozens of Average/Unnecessary to downright lousy ones such as Haunting, Godzilla, Psycho, Planet of the Apes, Island of Dr Moreau, Get Carter, House on Haunted Hill, Rollerball, Vanishing, Diabolique, Musketeer, Man in the Iron Mask, Time Machine, Jackal, 3 Musketeers ’93, Point of No Return, Mighty Joe Young, City of Angels, Village of the Damned, Body Snatchers ’93, Mummy’99, Hollow Man, Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, Getaway, Desperate Hours, DOA, Unfaithfully Yours, Night of the Living Dead ’90, Last Man Standing, Always, Dracula ’79, A Perfect Murder, Phantom of the Opera ’89, King Kong ’76, etc, etc.

As for the boatload of upcoming Hollywood remakes on the horizon:

I’m very interested in Solaris – I’m not as high on Soderberg as others on this board but I do consider him a talented Director.

The Truth About Charlie bothers me. Demme is a great director but casting the zombie-like Mark Wahlberg in the Cary Grant role was a big mistake IMO. [​IMG]

I don’t know what to think of Welcome to Collinwood – a remake of the classic Big Deal on Madonna Street.

I have reservations about Red Dragon with Ratner as the Director. It does have a stellar cast though.

Reservations aside I obviously will not pass judgment until I’ve seen the above films for myself.

With these along with many more in the works it looks like Hollywood is entering a major remake period. I’m not totally against remakes (Hollywood has always done it) but I wish the powers that be would devote more time & energy into original works.

13. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Edward Norton in the David Sumner lead. Ok, he is a good actor and can play a computer geek as an update to the mathametician Dustin Hoffman played.
    Who to take the part of Susan George? She was a shallow, but cute and big chested, trophy for her husband. David was not into the macho image, but she played on her body and attractivness to any who would pay attention, and had a high sex drive that David could not keep up with. We don't need a great actress, maybe the contrary, but one who is known for her portrayal of women who get by on looks and possibly family position.
    Amanda Peet; she has the body, is willing to show it and has that ditzy attitude that would be perfect. Like the part she played in Changing Lanes

14. Bruce Hedtke

I think Peete would be a fine choice. Natasha Henstridge would also work in that sort of role, but I don't recall any film where she was the ditzy blond. I just think she looks the part.

Bruce

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I just saw this for the first time last week. Ive been wanting to get it and Media Play had it for $12.
    I loved it!
    A remake is a terrible idea.[​IMG]

16. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>the already planned three (3!) Pitch Black sequels,>Ben-Hur ‘59& The Maltese Falcon ‘41 are both better than the originals.