What's new

A question that has always boggled me. Lets take star wars for example... What if.. (1 Viewer)

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Nick_S wrote:
About the Ewan thing, just remember Ed Wood did a magnificant job at replacing Bela Lugosi in Plan 9 From Outer Space. If it can be done then, im sure its possible today.

That's a great idea! George Lucas can have his chiropractor play Obi-Wan and just walk around with a cape over his face. They then can show some old footage of Ewan McGregor every once and while to make the audience think he's still in the movie. Someone pass this idea on to George Lucas if anything happens to Ewan!
;-)
------------------
"It is the customary fate of new truths to begin as heresies and to end as superstitions." - T. H. Huxley

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Re Vader:
Check the IMDB listings for Episode III - James Earl Jones is listed as the voice of Darth Vader.
As far as his voice goes, he revoiced the 'bring my shuttle' sequence in Empire and it doesn't sound much like him. Whether this is due to his voice changing over time or simply that he would have done the whole movie in one session of a few hours (presumably) is not something I can speculate on.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I saw the Empire sequence listed above recently and just asssumed they didnt got through the trouble of getting James Earl Jones to voice that couple of lines... it does sound different. Are we sure he even did it?

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
FYI, Desmond Llewelyn wasn't "written out". Cleese wasn't meant to take over the role until Llewelyn wanted to leave the series. He was considered Bond-family and his character was hugely popular so he had an open contract to play the role for as long as he wanted.
I miss him. Q branch won't be the same.
Jason

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Does anybody remember what they did with Oliver Reed's character in Gladiator when he died while filming it? I think they actually digitally placed him in the scenes at the end. I don't quite know how they synthesized his voice for the lines but they pulled it off because I had no idea until the documentary spoke about it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
A British newspaper is reporting that Daniel Radcliffe's voice had to be rerecorded by another kid in some scenes because his voice started to crack. He's growing up fast!
------------------

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I believe TheForce.net has a section detailing all the SE changes to Star Wars and it mentions that it is JEJ but that it sounds different.
I think for Gladiator you can see the scenes. It's just a question of a body double and a few shots of his face from other scenes placed in the frame. There are always people who can immitate a voice well enough.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I'm more concerned about John Williams, who writes the musical score for Star Wars. He's kind of old, and I hope he makes it to Episode III. Without him, it just wouldn't be Star Wars....
------------------

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Well, if it worked for Doctor Who for 25 years and eight regenerations, it can work for any series! :)
------------------

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Quote_____________________________________________ ________
We don't see Vader as Vader until Episode IV because he is introduced as a new character in Episode IV. When we find out who he is, its a big thing and is supposed to explain a lot of questions. Of course, we already know who he is, but we really aren't supposed to know. If you didn't know anything about Star Wars and watched Episode I, II, III, IV, V, and VI in order without asking anyone about the story or anything, then you wouldn't know that Anakin is Vader.
__________________________________________________ _________
I don't think this would work anyway, even if you hadn't seen IV, V, and VI before I, II, and III.
Obi Wan talks about his former pupil Darth Vader in IV, yet in your scenario, you would have just seen I, II and III without any Vader.
Also, given that the trailers/posters have all played on Vader's breathing/shadow etc, I think most fans would be hugely disappointed not to see Vader in Episode III. Frankly, that's is the key moment in the whole of the new trilogy that I am praying Lucas gets right. I also hope it is slightly more than just a one line cameo.
The revelation of V will still have impact, it will just be different because the audience will have been waiting for Vader to tell Luke up to this point, and his reaction.

Continuing the idea of a main character being replaced on their demise....suppose a nasty computor virus wiped out all the computor generated images of Jar Jar Binks and made it impossible to recreate him on screen (oh please god!) who to replace him but ALF. I am sure this would be a popular replacement unless anyne has other suggestions or other cast members who could be replaced and by whom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks