A question for runners

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael Warner, May 19, 2006.

1. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Last week, after a break of 20 years, I started running again. In the past I had a lot of knee problems so I had all but given up on impact exercises. This winter me moved to the Seattle area and the wealth of trails near my home finally inspired me to give it another try. There's a small lake at the end of my street that has a nice 1.5 mile wooded trail around it. For now I'm just doing one circuit of that trail every other day to see how my knees hold up. If I survive for a month then I'll start adding distance.

Since I need some sort of goal to strive for I've been timing my 1.5 mile run and I want to find out what a reasonable target time for that distance would be. It's a dirt trail with lots of medium-sized hills and right now my best time is 12:23 which to me seems slow. I realize that running cross-country takes longer than on a flat track but I really have no clue what I should be aiming for here. Any thoughts?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That's just over an 8-minute mile. Not bad at all for doing basic cardiac exercise or for distance running. If speed is your goal then you've got some work to do. But given that you've been out of it for 20 years I would think that an 8-minute mile would be pretty good.

3. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

4. Michael Warner

I should clarify that I'm not starting out as a couch potato who's trying to go at it too hard in the beginning. I haven't run in 20 years but I do cross-country ski in the winter and use a ski machine in the off season to keep in shape. I'm keeping my runs short just to make sure my knees hold together (literally). Since I'm artifically limiting my distance I figured I would at least try to build up some speed.

5. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

It is a horrible thing to have knee problems and be a runner. Last year I was up to 5 miles a day then I tore my ACL playing basketball. Now I have bad tendonitis in my right patellar tendon and my left knee has to be scoped next month. Just take it easy and get good shoes. Shoes can make such a difference. Don't just go and get some Nikes or Adidas off the shelf, go to a running store and let them help you. Thats the only advice I have.

6. Michael Warner

I'm with you on the knee thing Brandon. When I shoot hoops with my son he asks why I never jump or dive for the ball. I explain to him that in my years of playing basketball I've sprained both ankles, broke a foot, and blew out a knee. Now I just shoot three-pointers and try to stay out of the way.

I'm running on a pair of Asics Gels which fit great and seem to provide plenty of cushion.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    For sneakers, I recommend either Asics or New Balance, they are pretty much the 'big two' in my mind for technical running wear.

There is also Saucony, Mizuno, and Brooks that have some very good models as well.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

ExRx on the web is the best free resource for training info I have ever seen. Check it out, this is what they have to say on running and injuries:

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/RunningInjuryVO2.html

The meat:

"Subjects were untrained men, 20 to 35 years of age. Training intensity was between 85 to 90 percent of maximum heart rate. Percentages have been rounded.

Beyond running 3 days per week, or 30 minutes per session, additional improvements in cardiovascular fitness are small, yet the rate of orthopedic injuries are disproportionately greater. Although slightly higher increases of cardiovascular fitness were observed for the 45 minutes per session and 5 days per week groups, these programs are not recommended for beginning joggers due to significantly higher incidence of injuries."

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Double your posting, double your fun...