A question about Flat Panel TV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dom_R, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Dom_R

Dom_R Extra

Hi I'm new here and this is my first post. I have always been wondering about this question and have never received an answer from anyone. What is the difference between an LCD TV or a Plasma TV? Which is better? Which is more suitable for watching TV/DVD's?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

An LCD direct view TV has a panel with tiny spots with red, green and blue cellophane (actually a better more modern color substance) in front of them and the spots, corresponding to pixels, turn dark or light while a light source behind shines through. The tiny spots (liquid crystals) don't turn extremely dark so the TV overall doesn't have as dark a black (black level) as other kinds of TV's.

A plasma direct view TV has a panel with tiny thin tubes going up and down which glow red, green, or blue in segments corresponding to pixels, using the same kinds of phosphors used on TV CRT tubes

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Dom_R

Dom_R Extra

Thank you Allan.
    So if I wanted the best possible picture, I should go with Plasma?

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You will get a better picture with plasma, but you will pay a lot more for a given size screen. Also plasmas come in larger sizes than LCD direct views.

5. Dom_R

Dom_R Extra

Ok, thats the answer I was looking for. Thanks again Allan.

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If you're curious about LCD screens, they are essentially the same as what laptop computers and flat panel computer monitors use. They use a backlight and the pixels either let light through or block it (though not completely--this is why you don't get true black with a LCD).

Plasma is a different technology entirely, where the pixels themselves emit light. Black level isn't perfect with plasma (yet) but the technology is improving all the time so I bet in a few years we'll see plasmas have blacks comparable to CRT.

KJP

7. Scott McVicker

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the LCD screens are less suceptable to "burn in" and have a wider viewing angle.

8. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

LCD screens never have burn in. They may have "ghosting" in which a static image may remain visible for short periods of time after the intial viewing.

In terms of angle of viewing, I believe plasma is actually better than LCD, though some newere LCDs are getting close.

SMK

9. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

10. Tappan

Tappan Auditioning

better yet rptv sporting the new dlp technowlegy is said to be just as sharp as plasma, without burn-in, and get this....have a fixed price that can't exceede $4999.99 reguardless of size.

11. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

12. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator