What's new

A Proposal for TV Shows: Replace Individual Boxed Sets with Optical Studio Disks (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
It's not the same because studios can distribute HD versions of movies and television shows as well as SD versions. Whereas studios would have the ability to distribute different resolutions of movies and TV shows (800x600,1024x768,1280x1024 and so on) ... not even iTunes has that capability. iTunes video downloads are generally only set for iPods, iPhones and iPod Touches. They are not designed for 20" or larger television screens and they are often transfered via the iTunes format of .MP4. Desktop PC's running widescreen LCD HD monitors and even HD TV's 20" or larger do not use that format nor do DVD players or blu ray players. The resolution gets fuzzy because it's not equipped to handle that format or that smaller resolution size of 320x160) or whatever the size of the iPod is.

Instead, you need to waste countless hours converting the iPod video format to the standard video format and then using another program to synch up the audio with the video.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
Now you're getting nitpicky and not even arguing the same thing I am.

All I was saying is you have been suggesting something LIKE iTunes. By that I mean, downloadable media: single episodes, full seasons, season passes, subscriptions, etc. Format and resolution aren't part of the debate - obviously the studios could provide whatever they wanted.

Its the transport and distribution of content that is in question. And I'm baffled by the need for an "Optical Studio Disc".

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Given that:
1. I don't have broadband;
2. Broadband is not available in my area -- no DSL (take it up with Verizon), no cable (take it up with Comcast), no Wi-Fi (take it up with . . . ?);
3. Satellite internet is S-L-O-W, expensive and unreliable; and
4. No extension of the above is planned for my (rural) area for many years -- basically, until a boatload of houses are built here on what is now farmland, I use my best native New Yorker reply to this idea:

FUHGETTABOUTIT!!!!!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Whatever the case may be, the studios are in the perfect position to offer something like this. The ability to buy entire runs of a show, for a fraction of the a retail set would cost, with the added ability to burn that content to DVD's without DRM, mind you.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
With everything studios do to try to protect their content, why would you think they would allow you to download and burn your own DVDs? That the last thing they want because now anyone can easily distribute copies to friends and family.

If anything, they would figure out a convenient way to download while at the same time improving on their ability to protect their content from the hands of anyone but the user that paid for the download.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks