What's new

A Prairie Home Companion - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had a good time with this film, mainly for Kevin Kline's performance (clueless "security" guy for the Fitzgerald theater. The film also features Meryl Streep, Lily Tomlin, Woody Harrelson, John C. Reilly, Lindsay Lohan, and of course Garrison Keillor. The rest of the supporting cast, including Maya Rudolph, is also good.

Keillor's screenplay is able to keep the movie going with what seems like a lot of rambling of old times between mini-groupings of character throughout the show, Robert Altman's camera eye just moves around like a fly on the wall at times, and then moving around, soaking in the conversations.

The film has a balance of life and death whimsy, and using the imminent closing of the show as a metaphor for the circle of life/death for its cinematic treatment. The only part I didn't really like was how the Virginia Madsen character was integrated into the film. But it's a fun and poignant film about doing something you love for a long time and being on the cusp of not being able to do it anymore.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Joel C

Screenwriter
While there wasn't much to this movie, narrative-wise, it's one of the most enjoyable I've seen in quite a while. Great songs, great characters, great comedy. The Bad Jokes song pretty much brought down the house during our afternoon showing (and at 24 I was definitely the youngest person in the room). Nice to see a movie for the older crowd.

I'd probably give it 3.5 stars, and a B+/A-.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I went to see this movie is was in a really crappy mood. I came out with the "Rubbard Pie" song under my breath. What a sweet, innocent, fun time. A nice change of pace from movies I normally see.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Just came back from seeing it and really had a good, fun time. It gave me a very big smile walking out of the theatre. Robert Altman is still great at his age. The Bad Jokes song really made me laugh out loud. This is also Lindsay Lohan's best movie to date. I hope she's really serious about taking more mature roles because I truly believe she has talent. As for the rest of the cast. Meryll Streep is at her usual best and has great rapport with Lilly Tomlin. Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly were a great comedy pair. Kevin Kline had his comedic moustache. Virgina Madsen was an angel. And everyone else was great. This will get nominated for Best Ensemble Cast for the SAG awards guaranteed. Never a dull moment in this film. Great dialogue. Great acting. Great movie.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I saw this with the in-laws on Saturday night. They're big fans of the radio show, and appreciated that almost all of the things that they liked about it were in it. I've never heard the radio show, and just enjoyed the whole experience. The cast was excellent. Anyone else notice that Streep seemed to glow whenever the camera was near her? I wonder if she had her own lighting crew :)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I've been a fan of the radio program for years now. when I heard they were making a movie based on it, I was so thrilled. I haven't had a chanvce to see it yet, but can't wait! I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it.

If you haven't had a chance yet to listen to the radio show or didn't know about it, I guarantee you'll love it. It's fabulous.

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton
As someone expressed earlier, my fiance and I were the youngest in the theater by at least 30 years (we're 23.) Hopefully good word of mouth will enable it to make money. Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly were particularly amazing.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed this movie very much, but have one criticism. I wasn't that thrilled with the ending. I think they should have just ended it with the scene that was playing when the credits were rolling. By ending it on stage, then it makes the audience wonder if this really was there last performance or not. The dialogue was great among the cast.

You could tell that everyone was enjoying themselves and really getting into their characters. I highly recommend this movie, dispite my one criticism.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Like Greg and Joel, I was also by far the youngest audience member, and I also liked the movie too. A really warm movie, and Altman's style really fit the backstage, large cast material.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this last night on DVD. I enjoyed the feel the of movie but couldn't help but think there was a LOT I was missing not being familiar with the radio show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks