What's new

A possible hero in the tragedy of the airliners and WTC attacks... (1 Viewer)

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
This is just speculation, but it looks there was a hero in the tragic crash of the jet in Pennsylvania. The plane left from Newark headed for San Francisco. That means it would have gone near and/or over Cleveland(BP building and Terminal Tower) and Chicago(Sears Tower and numerous other buildings). Yet the plane crashed in the absolute middle of nowhere, rural Pennsylvania. Not to mention the 911 call from a female passenger at either 9:45 or 10:45 A.M. She was locked in a restroom on the plane and called autorities to say that the plane had been hijacked. 1 minute later, the plane crashed and contact with her was lost. God Bless that pilot....whoever he/she was! At least something to celebrate(if possible) during these tragedies. Just something POSITIVE to consider...........

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I too have heard speculation that the pilot of the one plane which didn't meet its target may have intentionally crashed his plane in an unpopulated area. Of course, it may be a long time before we know.
Judging by the reports of fallen rescue workers, police officers, firefighters, etc., to even the throngs of people who have lined up for upwards of 8 hours to donate blood, there is seemingly no shortage of heroism in the wake of this tragedy.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
If this is what indeed happened, then that pilot is truly a hero. In an odd twist, I was listening to the Flaming Lips album "Zaireeka" last night, which contains a song called "Thirty-Five Thousand Feet of Despair" -- the explaination of the song and the lyrics are oddly poigniant:
"A short drama about a pilot who's losing his mind little by little. He fears for the safety of his family when he's at home and fears for the safety of his passengers when he's flying. Finally, he fears he can no longer control himself and during a transatlantic flight he leaves the cockpit and goes to the bathroom and hangs himself. Lyrics:
Another moth disintegrates hovering in the beam of a searchlight that's looking for a trace of a plane whose pilot it's a shame has gone insane. You can see the silhouette across the moon he hung himself midflight in the bathroom. Why is it so high ?.. Why is it so much ...."

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I agree with you guys...somehow I do have a strong feeling that this is exactly what happened with this PA crash. Just pure speculation on my part, but judging by the four crashes, the PA one probably has the best chance of finding the "black box" in the best condition.
This is one day we will never forget......
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Leslie Wall

Auditioning
I agree and have said this all day since I turned on the TV this morning. Apparently all the other Hijacked filghts hit their intended targets. Why did this ONE crash somewhere that seems (in the footage I have seen) to be relatively unpopulated ? It got somewhere near Ohio before turning around and heading back to the East Coast, was this plane intended to be a second attack on the Pentagon ? Or even the White House ? And I have noticed that 95% of the coverage on the news has been on NY and WTC Towers and the Pentagon. Why is there a niggling feeling in the back of my mind, that the fact that there does not seem to be much reporting going on about the PA plane crash is very conspicuious ? Maybe something has been found there ? Out of all of the crash sites, the black box that had the best chance of survival appears to be the PA planes.
Just some speculation on my part I guess.
------------------
"All we have is Space and Time.... take away Space and all you have is Here. Take away Time and all you have is Now. And don't you think that somewhere between Here and Now we might see each other once in awhile ? "

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The last I heard was that the PA plane was on its way to Camp David, but before that I heard the Sears Tower. Its just too sick and twisted.
Glenn

Michael*K

Screenwriter
ABC reported that the captain of the plane had requested a redirect to Washington before the plane went in. They also took a heartbreaking call from a woman who's son was on the flight and made an airfone call that the plane had been taken over by three people who said they were carrying bombs. The connection was lost and then she got word of the crash.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
If based upon this supposed information that this pilot ditched the plane. This would lead us to assume that all of the pilots were being forced to fly the planes at knife point. Would someone being held at knife point still fly into the WTC? I would very much doubt that they would because a knife does not strike as much fear into a person as a firearm.
That was an interesting point about someone thinking that the plane was being shot at. Do you shoot down a plane carrying 100 passengers to save the lives of 50,000 people? I guess that is the eternal question and one I'm glad I would never have to make.
Aaron

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I think in each plane it was one of the terrorists who send the plane crashing. However, it may be possible that they forced the pilots to do the more difficult parts, like steering back to Washington. This could make sense, as long as the pilot didn't know about the ultimate fate of the plane.
The Pennsylvania pilot may very well be the only one who heard the truth through his radio. That plane was the last one to crash - and remember how no-one outside those planes realized what was going on until the second plane hit the WTC. I'm sure, the other pilots never heard what was going on. Perhaps they believed they were heading for the airport, until they were removed from the cockpit.
Cees
[Edited last by Cees Alons on September 12, 2001 at 02:40 AM]

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Buzz- you work in the Albuquerque, NM tower? :)
I've always wondered how they work that out since the local tower guys/gals are all familiar voices, and I hear them all on ground occasionally, is it like an FSS where you just rotate on a regular basis? or is a free for all? whoever gets there late gets stuck with whatever :)
we have a pretty busy tower (in the top 5 in operations for the great lakes region I hear) so ground here would be like a vacation (well deserved too. bless you guys for your patience and all the shit you have to put up with) the amount of traffic some airports got on to the ground in such a short amount of time is amazing.
[Edited last by Philip_G on September 12, 2001 at 11:17 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks