What's new

A plea FOX: Please release Alien 3 Special Edition. (1 Viewer)

Jim C

Second Unit
I know that you are participating in the on-line chat on July 24th, but as I'm unfortunately not going to be able to participate, I was hoping that you would answer my request here.
Myself, along with hundreds of other people, have been actively campaigning the release of David Fincher's director's cut of Alien 3 for many years now. While the current release does provide us with a glorious (almost reference quality) print of the film, the extra features and lack of a director's cut serve as a major disappointment for those wanting to know the whole story behind the production of this film.
For fans of Alien 3, all of the deleted scenes have become a holy grail, in the same way the deleted scenes from the 1st two movies were considered. With such wide publication of pictures from the deleted scenes, along with their descriptions in various magazines (such as Cinefex) and inclusion in the Alien 3 trailers, to the numerous web sites dedicated to them - these scenes are considered legend in Alien lore. Ask any Alien 3 fan about the Superfacehugger, Ox-burster, original alien entrapment and Golic's/Clement's lost scenes, and they will all know what you are talking about.
I am aware of the troubled gestation Alien 3 went through from script to screen, and this would provide a fascinating insight into the making of the movie on DVD (in the same way it did on the excellent 5-Star Cleopatra). David Fincher is now considered one of the most talented directors, with all his films establishing a firm cult following. It is therefore disappointing that, with the exception of Alien 3, all his other films have been given the special edition treatment.
In last year's talkback, you mentioned that there were no plans for an Alien 3 special edition, but you didn't expand on any reasoning behind that. David Fein mentioned that there were plans to release a special edition of Alien 3, but due to time constraints and David Fincher's availability at the time, the decision was made not to do this. However, he did mention that FOX might revisit Alien 3 in the future.
To see what Alien 3/David Fincher fans would consider the ultimate edition of Alien 3, please read the following article that was published a few months ago:
Link Removed
David Prior, who recently gave us the excellent Big Trouble in Little China and equally excellent Die Hard Ultimate Box set, Rocky Horror Picture Show and Fight Club, has said before that he would like to produce a special edition of Alien 3. He is even working on David Fincher's current film, The Panic Room, for a special DVD release. With films such as Dude, where's my car, receiving the special edition treatment, it disappoints the fans of Alien 3/David Fincher that this film has been left to one side.
With the 10th anniversary of this film coming up next year, please give David Prior or David Fein the opportunity to give us the version of Alien 3 that we so desperately want.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this request and hope that you can facilitate the release of an Alien 3 special edition. A reply to this message would also be very much appreciated.
If for any reason Peter does not get chance to view this request prior to the talkback on 24.7, I would appreciate if someone could put the question to him on my behalf during the live chat.
Many thanks
Jim Carter
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on July 18, 2001 at 12:34 PM]
[Edited last by Jim C on July 18, 2001 at 01:30 PM]

Todd McF

Second Unit
After reading Alien 3 (Alan Dean Foster) I was depressed that the film failed to incorporate these critical plot points mentioned. As a result, the whole religion subplot of the film seemed disjointed and pointless. After seeing some rough internet footage showing the missing scenes mentioned, I realized the film could have been far more than it was.
Is this footage restorable? Were all the dialog scenes supporting them shot? If so a directors cut would be a huge improvement on this flawed film.
I like Alien 3 as it stands, but the book is a big improvement on the plot. Would David Fincher agree to this project?

no chance whatsoever of fincher doing this, he's stated he has no interest in this as Fox screwed him supposedly at the time the film was being cut.
maybe we could have a special edition with deleted scenes???? instead of a fincher approved cut

Todd McF

Second Unit
I am more optimistic than that. I am aware of his previous statements, but I think DF might change his mind if he thought something definative to his vision could be created.

Jim C

Second Unit
I'm also very optimistic that David Fincher would participate in a new cut of Alien 3.
Fincher has stated in several interviews/lectures that he was very keen that his vision of the film was released on Laserdisc. For various reasons that didn't work out. I have also read that Fincher wanted his cut of the movie included on the DVD, but his commitment to Fight Club meant he had no time in his schedule to participate.
If there's one thing I've learnt over the years, it is 'never say never'. I never thought I'd see the original endings to Little Shop of Horrors, Die Hard 3, Terminator 2 or The Abyss. I never thought I see the deleted material from Big Trouble in Little China. I never thought I'd see the infamous deleted scenes from Alien. I never thought I'd see director's editions of Superman TM or Star Trek TMP.......I could go on and on.
But if the worst comes to the worst, I would also settle for seeing all the Alien 3 deleted scenes included in a supplementary section of a special edition DVD, but it would be a damn shame if Fincher had no participation whatsoever. His cut of Alien 3 would, without doubt, stand head and shoulders above the theatrical version, and would bring with it a new level of depth and apreciation from both Alien 3 and Fincher fans alike.
[Edited last by Jim C on July 18, 2001 at 01:06 PM]

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I think that A3 has enough fans to justify this, and a Directors Cut would certainly make a lot of new ones....in other words, this would be cost-effective....
This, and A1 are still my favorites...
------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on July 18, 2001 at 02:18 PM]

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I'd re-purchase it, even though I have the Alien Legacy set, just to see the directors cut. Please Fox!
------------------
screw.jpg

Ken_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I've never been the biggest Alien 3 fan, but you've got my support. After reading that article, I was blown away at what could be done. You've got my vote...
BTW, Jim C, do you know where I could contact David Prior?

Will K

Screenwriter
I'd love to see a SE of this one too. I'll admit I hated the movie when I first saw it in theaters but it has grown on me over the years and I think it gets better with repeat viewings. I, too, and curious to see what Fincher's original cut would have been like. Even if he doesn't participate, I believe Fox could still pull together a nice SE with deleted footage and other material.
------------------
unratedbanner.JPG

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I to would love to see the director's cut of this movie. It truly deserves it and would definately make the movie much better.

Todd McF

Second Unit
I read that Alien 3 article mentioned above. Now I'm even more depressed.
This film was totally betrayed.
Here is a question I would like answered:
- WHO EDITED OUT THESE SCENES AND WHY???

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Totally remix the full director approved cut with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 in mind (as David Fincher did with his recent supervised Se7en DVD) and I'd even buy it (and here I am one of the biggest haters of Alien 3 out there).
It would even be great if that cruddy, poorly stop motion animated alien puppet (which was used in some scenes) were changed to a very high quality CGI model. Why they did that when James Cameron and Stan Winston in Aliens used a very convincing rod puppet and a full sized animatronic puppet mockup to great effect.
In fact, if Fox will totally, digitally remix Alien and Aliens: Director's Cut for DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and further improve the picture quality I would re-purchase these titles in a second. My God, Anchor Bay is even going the extra mile and providing real DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 tracks on their upcoming remixed discs.
Dan
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on July 19, 2001 at 05:18 PM]

Earl_K

Auditioning
I'd buy a directors cut of this film. If Fincher is willing to recut the film then I'm all for it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
From what I hear, the problem is not Fox's unwillingness to do it, it's all in David Fincher's hands. Lately I've been hearing he may be softening on the issue, but is still in "Never touching it again" mode
Jeff Kleist

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to see that there are others who enjoyed this installment in the Alien series.
I definitely would like to see a SE but it does look grim.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks