What's new

A Perfect Circle (2 Viewers)

BobSmith

Agent
Really looking forward to the new album "thirteenth step". Everyone at my school thinks it will kick ass, but what do you expect from tool, marilyn manson, and smashing pumpkins members. What did everyone think of "mer de noms"?

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Got it on order. Anxious to hear it when it's released. Hoping it's a worthy followup to Mer De Noms, but I'm doubting that I have much to worry about.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I am preordering it this afternoon along with the 3 Pearl Jam bootlegs being released Tuesday.

From what a member over at DVD talk said about APC, he saw them live recently and said the new songs are a departure from the last album, somehow going "softer." He compared the difference to NIN's normal albums (old APC) and NIN's latest "The Fragile" (new APC). I believe that is what he said anyway. Either way, with Maynard's involvement, it will be good. My most anticipated release of the year.:emoji_thumbsup:

Peter_A

Second Unit
I just got it yesterday from work and it's really quite good. Much like the last APC album but it stands on its own. One track "The Nurse Who Loved Me" is a little odd.... but I had a little laugh. Overall the album is somewhat softer than the last but if you're an APC fan, you'll like it.

One unpleasent thing about the album is that it's Copy Controlled. It doesn't stop me from ripping it to MP3 at all or making a copy for use in my car's CD player. Try a little harder next time RIAA.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Peter,

Is the CD labeled as copy protected or how did you know about it? Are you using standard ripping software?

This is one of my most wanted discs of the year, but if the RIAA is going to continue to play their stupid games, then I'll pass on it until a copy shows up at the local used shop. I refuse to pay for a CD that I can't use in all legal ways. I have no intention of copying for supplying to others, but I do have great use for ripping MP3s for my portable player, my car player, and for listening to at work.

I was absolutely furious after buying the new Massive Attack album earlier in the year and finding out that it was protected. If it is not labeled, I will buy a copy and take it back.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Ive been looking forward to this one as well. Now hopefully they can finish up the tour and Maynard can get on the next Tool album :).

StevenW

Second Unit
Now hopefully they can finish up the tour and Maynard can get on the next Tool album
Maynard is supposed to go back to Tool next summer.

As for the album...absolutely amazing. I love it. Has far exceeded my expectations. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Yeah excellent album, nothing like Mer Do Noms really but I like the new sound. Production is absolutely excellent (as expected) and it's a more consistent album even though it was fairly rushed according to sources.

Here is an interesting article about the extra material from the sessions possibly being released separately (without Maynard).

http://canada.com/search/story.aspx?...e-1f5b74e2e743

As for the copy protection, my CD is in the car but I am almost certain that copies distributed in North America are protection-free.

EDIT: found some information at aperfectcircle.org

It looks like the version of the cd released in America will not be feature copy protection, but pretty much all others will. So in this case it looks like fans in Europe are getting screwed by the suits even more then we are. Sorry. Also, I have gotten many emails on this subject, and I thought I would just share one of them in hopes that we can play a small part in bringing attention to this issue.

Jason Perez

Second Unit
I really was not expecting APC to equal the majestic beauty of Mer De Noms, but in some ways, they have surpassed it with the Thirteenth Step. This album is amazingly deep, with excellent production values and thoughtful lyrics, and despite being "softer", I agree with Peter_A, in that it stands on its own.

On another note, as a longtime musician, I listen to things very differently than the casual music fan does (not that there are too many of those around here), and let me tell you that the folks that mixed both APC records deserve every last penny of their salary. :emoji_thumbsup: As such, you get to hear every nuance of the musical performances on this great album! I wholeheartedly recommend picking it up, especially at its current $10 price tag!!!

I must say that I do miss Paz's violin work though. I thought it added a nice texture to some of the tracks on Mer De Noms and she probably would have done the same on the new album. If she had to leave the APC family, why the hell did it have to be for the now-defunct Zwan? :angry:

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I agree, this is another excellent effort by APC. This album is definitely "softer" than Mer De Noms, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that Mer De Noms was hard. Most people seem to expect APC to be Tool (I'm not accusing anyone here of that, just people I talk to). I was a little worried that Paz's departure would hurt the group but Twiggy has filled in nicely. I do, as Jason mentioned, miss her violin, however. I was just happy to walk into a Newbury Comics and buy a new CD. There is absolutely nothing good out there for new music.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Aw man, just look at how excited you guys got me. I had and listened to Mer De Noms for a while, but I didn't really pay as much attention to it, always relegating it as "just a side project" in my mind. Yesterday I spun it again and it really hit me how cool it is.

I wasn't planning on hitting the record store today, but now I may have to.

Jason, great news about the audio. Nice to hear they didn't do the super-compression thing.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I didn't really pay as much attention to it, always relegating it as "just a side project" in my mind
I agree with you when it comes to "side projects". I usually raise an eyebrow at them. APC claim they are a legit band and even if it was a side project, its better than 99% of the so called primary bands. I'm just so frustrated with the state of music right now.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Mark, myself and others have made this point many times, but I believe there is more great music out there now than there ever has been. It just takes a little bit (literally) of effort.

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
My favs so far (after having it for a day only)

Track #1 - The Package
Track #10 - Pet (catchiest riff I've heard in a long while)

A steal for the introductory price of $9.98

Anybody notice the low hz signals (bass) on this CD. Wow. I was knocking things off the wall at moderate volumes. 'Lullaby' especially and the opening to 'Package'

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Mark, myself and others have made this point many times, but I believe there is more great music out there now than there ever has been. It just takes a little bit (literally) of effort.
Could you point me in the right direction? Other than a few current bands I listen to (APC, Tool, Audioslave, Queens of the Stone Age, Foos, Incubus) and even fewer hip hop (I can't even name any) it seems like there is only whiny mall punk and Nelly.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard any talk of a future release of this in high res/surround? I'd love to hear some APC in surround, as some of Mer De Noms already had faux surround effects, and it sounded quite surreal and suited the music very well.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Could you point me in the right direction?
Mark,

Just some suggestions...perhaps you've tried listening to some of the groups that I'll be listing below but don't care for them. If so, that's ok...but please give some feedback as to what you didn't like about them, or alternately, elaborate a bit more on what you like about the groups you listed above, so that we can all give you some more suggestions on groups to try listening to.

Here are some of my suggestions for you to try, based on those you listed: Korn, Disturbed, Slipknot, and Powerman 5000.

Let us know and hopefully we can give you some different directions to at least check out for variety.

Hope this might help,

Dan

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Those bands are alright, although I prefer Stone Sour to Slipknot (all that screaming is too much) and I was a Korn fan until "Issues". Powerman 5K are good. As a matter of fact, Spider Mike is from the next town over from me and we have mutual friends (although I've never met him). I'm sorry if if I'm causing this thread to go in a different direction. My original thought was that I'm happy that APC is back because I can't take Bad Charlotte and New Found Crap anymore.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
As for the copy protection, my CD is in the car but I am almost certain that copies distributed in North America are protection-free.
Grrr this copy protection on my disk is pissing me off. My cheap ass cdrom at work wont even recognize the cd. Makes me want to rip the cd out of spite.

The album itself is quite good. Couldnt believe the bass on the first track, and I didnt even have my sub on. There is one song, The nurse who loved me, that either should be the last track on the album or it should be half the length, it just grinds the album to a total stop. Tracks that I really like so far are The Noose, love that "your halo is slipping down" line, The Package and Pet. I expect the rest will grow on me after some more listening, just wish I could listen to it right now :angry:.

This album makes me wish Tool would make a 'mellow' album. I really like a lot of the mellow parts on Tool's albums and I think they could really make a great 'mellow' album. Of course they would probably have to release it under a different name or as a double album
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
, because they would piss off a lot of fans by doing that and it wouldnt really be fair to the fans if they were expecting a typical Tool album.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if you'd like the kind of stuff I like, Mike. I'm into stuff like Dream Theater and Opeth.

My point was that I was able to find a whole sub-culture of music that moves me, none of which is mainstream. The same is true for punk and hip-hop.

Speaking of Opeth, they released an all-mellow album and it was received quite well by fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks