A note to would-be telecommuters: Remote Desktop works in Parallels

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveF, Jul 15, 2008.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Will technological wonders never cease? On my MacBook Pro, I'm running WinXP full screen in Parallels. In WinXP, I've installed my company's software-only VPN client and have connected to the corporate network. Inside the network, I'm using Windows Remote Desktop to connect to my office computer. So on my Mac, I have my office PC fullscreen; it's almost like being there.

Lesson learned: if your company uses a VPN / Remote Desktop system for telecommuting, you can work remotely from a Mac.

Very cool. Very useful.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Dave I can remote desktop into my work servers as well...without having to use windows. We use Cisco VPN so I installed the OS X cisco client and Microsoft has a RemoteDesktop client for OS X as well so between the two I can work on my servers without leaving OSX. Actually I sometimes Remote into my desktop at work...and then remote out from that to the server so I'm in three deep at that point [​IMG]

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Andrew, thanks for the note. I'll look into that. It would be a simpler solution, if I could eliminate the Parallels step.

UPDATE: Alas, no OS X VPN client available through my company, so I can't try it. (And no apparent way to download it from Cisco) [​IMG]