What's new

A new way to measure sub performance, $ per DB. (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
This concept is fundamentally flawed, really. Currency is in linear units of dollars, and the dB scale is log10.

The dB scale cannot be arithmetically manipulated like the $$ scale can.

Sub A costs $500 and does 100 dB @ 10% THD @ 20 Hz.

Sub B costs $600 and does 106 dB @ 10% THD @ 20 Hz.

Sub B has literally 2X the performance of Sub A for only a 20% increase in price. That cannot possibly be accurately reflected using the $/dB scale method.

The only way to do it properly would be to convert the dB rating to some linear value with manageable units, and then do the math.

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator

Just like Carlos, I didn't understand why S & V didn't mention SVS, HSU...also, if you look at the some of the subs that were highly rated based on the dollar/db criteria, I feel sorry for anyone who bought a sub on the Internet based on the S & V article.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Remember Nousaine already measures NF(nearfield) response, in room response, and maximum clean output at 16,20,25,31,40,50,63,80hz among other checks. I believe if it were up to him(TN)...he'd give you PAGES of very cool data/charts for every subwoofer he reveiws. But when they tell him to provide us with all the data you want...just make it fit into a 3x2" space on the page...sometimes you have to try to figure out a way to best condense a page of date into a couple of sentences...and also be sure joe 6-pack will understand it..:)

Tom V.
SVS

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Also,

Sound and Vision published reviews on products they feel their readers want to learn more about. If every member of HTF sent them a letter asking for a review of a SVS subwoofer...we'd probably have a chance. The magazines are also in a tough spot sometimes. I mean, they are a business. And as a business, who are they going to look to for a new product first...the company running 3 full page ads in every issue, or the internet direct company that has a small 2x3" ad near the back?

SVS is VERY thankful that John Kotches and WSR offered to review a SVS product in 2003. We are still trying to convince some of the other magazines..:)

Tom V.
SVS

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Tom V if you happen to come back to this Thread could you explain why you don't advertise in S&V mag? Is it to many $$'s to justify in your mind? Also is it to many dollars to have Tom N. review the PB2-PLUS or other SVS offerings? It gets a little frustrating posting the list and only having your first offering included. Your product is so good so what gives?? The answer could be a given but I have always wondered/wanted it clarified.:confused:

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
We do have a small ad near the back of the magazine.

Sound and Vision tells TN which products are going to be in the magazine that month...so he doesn't really have much say in that aspect. He just measures/reviews what they send him..:)

Tom V.
SVS

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tom. My thinking is correct then.

When you move into another bigger building yet> Then maybe, possibly, you will be ready to do so. O>> And hire twenty more skilled workers for production here in the states.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Thanks Tom. My thinking is correct then.

When you move into another bigger building yet> Then maybe, possibly, you will be ready to do so. O>> And hire twenty more skilled workers for production here in the states.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I'd say 9 out of 10 times, our backorder status is because our component vendors cannot keep up with our demands now. Solving that is right at the top of our priority list...

Tom V.
SVS
__________________________________________________ _________

Yes that seems to be a constant you have been always able to count on Tom. I'm sure your suppliers had no idea just how successful SVS would be and they are going through some growing pains them self's ramping production up with a little steady but kind pressure.

It might be a good idea to go ahead and plant a tree farm for future wood needs also;) ya just never know

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks