A new Trek film with Kirk?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mikel_Cooperman, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Writer David Gerrold wants his James T. Kirk.

The man who wrote the classic STAR TREK episode "The Trouble With Tribbles", Gerrold is now a successful science fiction novelist creating his own universes. Still, he remains an avid fan of classic TREK and if he had his way, would resurrect the legendary captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise for a new TREK movie adventure.

"I'd yank him in out of an alternate timeline in which TNG and everything afterward just didn't happen," Gerrold told the Bring Back Kirk website (and as reported by Trek Today. "The TNG and post-TNG universes are so screwed up they need someone to help straighten things out. So they grab Admiral Kirk out of retirement from a parallel universe. I'd reunite him with any of the original actors who still wanted to play, but my first choice of course would be Spock."

Gerrold has already thought about and solved the problem about how to include action in his proposed TREK project considering that William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy can be officially considered senior citizens. "The new crew would be the Mission Team, Kirk and Spock would be the advisors with age and experience," Gerrold explains. "I would still want to see Kirk in action situations, but not hand-to-hand combat." Hey, this might actually work...

2. Gary_D_Ottawa

[​IMG]

Fresh from the "that which will never happen" files.

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

So he became a succesful writer HOW?

4. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

By writing landmark Science Fiction in the War against the Chtorr series.

That's all, really.

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I'd pay money to see him again. My favorite and really the only one I watch is Undiscovered Country. I for one could care less about continuity in that sense. You could bring him back and just have a great movie.

6. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Shatner and Nimoy are too old. Forget it. Star Trek is over - let's move on.

7. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve
    "It was... fun" while it lasted. As much as I liked the original crew (especially Shatner and Nimoy) I really don't care to see them in administrative or advisory roles that much. Let them rest in peace. "Oh my"

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I don't get the obsession with Kirk and Spock as somehow defining the essence of Star Trek. Yes, Nimoy gave perhaps the definitive portrayal of a Vulcan, but that doesn't mean that many other actors couldn't have done just as well, and every time I see the original "The Cave" pilot with Jeffrey Hunter as the captain of the Enterprise, I realize that the Kirk character is NOT all that special. Move ON, already.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A looney idea. Long, long ago the people responsible for this franchise lost grip of the concept of "letting well enough alone." I see this mindset has infected those on the periphery of the franchise as well.

10. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

Hey KIRK AND SPOCK could just be called at the starfleet nursing home for over the hill, overrated, actors. Just have them videoconference commands to the younger actors and teach them how to act as well as the OLD star trek characters. Kinda like on mystery science thearte 3000......And yeah jeffrey hunter is pretty great as a captian. Hey face it...old star trek is just that....OLD..good at its time, in a cheesey way, but the world imrpoved big time. Do you guys into the old series actually sit around and watch these old episodes???....or do you just try to remember what made you like them watching them like 25 years ago. I watched several lately and honestly they kinda sucked. I liked them back in the day, but honestly they seem old in many ways now, not just the budget etc.

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Along the lines of the "Freddy vs. Jason" film, how about a fight-off between two screen legends in their old age: James T. Kirk vs. Indiana Jones? Didn't you always wonder who was the tougher guy? [​IMG]

12. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

How long will it be before they can just digitally recreate the actors and make a new series to cover the time period between the last episode of TOS and ST:TMP?

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Kevin, get real. Yes. Just yesterday I screened two TOS episodes and enjoyed myself very much, thank you. Stories drove TOS, and at its best it defines Star Trek. Don't so casually insult so many members here.

14. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

Jack, I agree completely.

City on the Edge of Forever, as just one example, is, IMHO, still one of the very best, perhaps the best, Trek episode of all. Superbly written and performed.

15. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Equating old with bad will rob you of many treasures in all walks of life.

16. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

17. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    Finding a convienent excuse to combine the crews of TOS and TNG (aka Generations) was a bad idea. I have a hard time believing that a science fiction novelist was actually serious about bringing back Kirk. For his sake I hope that he's writing a script for Austin Powers in space........

18. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

19. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Harlan Ellison -the original writer- would beg to differ. Read his book on the subject. Rather illuminating.

As to bringing back Kirk and Spock. Why not? The series could be called geriaTREK and have a really spiffy opening line like...."they are on a lifelong mission to go where every man has gone before. Their mission to explore new worlds of dentures, checkers, and red suspenders. These are the adventures of the Starship Ensureprize."

20. Dennis

Dennis Second Unit

For me, part of the original series' charm is the fact that they were low budget. Considering the limitations of the special effects at the time, the producers had to have good scripts to compensate. Maybe George Lucas should take note. :b [​IMG]