What's new

A new Pre/Pro or start from scratch (1 Viewer)

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my password, so here we go . . .
I worked at a shop many years ago, and Kenwood had a 25th years promotion for sales jocks. It was a sweet deal, 25% below dealers net, so I popped on the Basic line. I currently own:
1 - M2a - 220W power amp.
1 - M1d - 125W power amp.
1 - M1a - 120W power amp.
1 - C2 - 2ch pre.
1 - NEC pro logic processor.
1pr - Cerwin Vega 2000-15 (A great deal from the rep!)
2pr - no name surrounds.
Okay already, I know I am a bit behind the times, but I am ready to start building a dedicated HT room now that we have moved into our new home.
I would like a few suggestions on what I should do, dump everything that I own on e-bay and start fresh or piece together a system around my amps (they are still pretty clean).
The HT room will be ~12x18.
The Pre/Pro's that I have considered are:
Outlaw 950 (when its out!)
HK Signature 2.0 (a great deal at JRMW @ $399)
I still have connections with the store (Yamaha, Kenwood, maybe others) so I can buy @ cost, but that is not my main objective. I want a solid system that I can live with for a while.
Okay lets run with it . . . Kendal

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I was just in a similar boat. I had more than enough amps for my living room system, but I needed a Pre/Pro. I had been waiting for the Outlaw 950 for several months, even though I had been dreading spending the $900. I know that $900 is not a lot for a feature rich Pre/Pro, but it is for me.
When I saw the HK Signature 2.0 for $399 at www.jandr.com I went for it. It should arrive on Monday.
However, I have serious rear speaker placement issues in my living room. If I was building a dedicated room like you, I would want to have dual center rear speakers to use with the 6.1 formats.
So I would hold out for the Outlaw 950 if I was in your boat.

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the opinion. Let us know what your thoughts are on the 2.0 when you get it up and running. By the way, JRMW couldn't confirm if the 2.0s they are selling have received any/all the software upgrades. Got any info?

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I had assumed it would have the latest upgrades since they have been out for a while. When it arrives I will see what I can find out.

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I received my 2.0 on Friday. It came with software version 2.10a.
So far I like it. One thing that bugs me is that the record outs do not send info when the unit is tuned to a digital source.
Also, when you set up a digital source, you have to specify what type of Digital Data stream that it will be used with. The 2.0 will auto detect what type of digital signal is being sent, and it will process it accordingly. However, if the type of DataStream that it is decoding is different from that specified, the new type will flash on and off on the units window display. This is annoying. For instance, I will use my digital cable box to send both DD and PCM data to the 2.0. I use my DVD player to send DD, DTS and PCM data to the 2.0. If the 2.0 does not receive the same type of DataStream that I specified, it will start flashing, which annoys me.
That is basically a long winded explanation for a minor problem. Anyway, I may not have it set up right.
If I can get my third party remote fully programmed to work with the 2.0, I will be in great shape for little money.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Shade,
Since the Sig's inputs are fully adjustable/programmable..you can setup two inputs (or three) for your DVD player, with same digital audio and video connections: one for ac3 and one for dts. Or have the OSD timeout.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks