What's new

A new MANHUNTER disc is coming July 8! (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

TimSniffin

Stunt Coordinator
Anchor Bay has posted the Restored Director's Cut on their site, and it looks to be one disc. The audio is also Dolby Surround 2.0.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Sorry... but where on the press release and where on Anchor Bay's site does it say that the forthcoming "Director approved edition" is a 2 disc set?

JanHog

Auditioning
Here is the cover for Manhunter: Restored Director's Cut

Features
• Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Deleted & Alternate Scenes Still Gallery
• Production Still Gallery
• Audio Commentary by Writer/Director Michael Mann
• Posters & Advertising Gallery
• DVD-ROM: Original Screenplay
• Theatrical Trailer

Source: AnchorBay Ent.

DannyS

Second Unit
ok. is THE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL CUT available on DVD in any region?

Or is it lost forever?

I do remember reading an awful lot about the movie in "Video watchdog" about 10 yaers ago.. I don't have the mag, I just read through it in my local Forbidden planet.

Michael_Yang

Agent

I am confusing this too.

I think it must be a single disc or it include a "theatrical cut"¡£

Somebody know What it is truly?

TysonK

Agent
I just saw the dvd at a local B&M and the retail was $14.99. It is only 1 disc and it is Dolby Surround 2.0. I did not pick it up since I was not sure of the quality of this version. I still want to wait until I read some more reviews of this dvd.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I got my copy a couple of days ago. It's not exactly the greatest dvd ever, but then again few are! The main point to mention is that (just like the R2 version) some footage in this 'restored' cut has been spliced in from a very grainy, noisy source. When entire scenes play out in grain-o-vision it's acceptable. But it can be distracting when this source is used to insert a single line into an existing scene, so you get varying quality from shot to shot in some cases. The level of detail in the scenes that have been mastered from the high-def source is incredibly high, which makes the differences between the footage stand out even more. Sadly there's some atrocious haloing, most noticably in the brighter HD-sourced scenes in the movie. It actually radiates out in layers from whatever edge it may be affecting - or at least it does on my tv. The ropes on Grahams' boat during his dream (at around the 35 minute mark) is a good place to spot it. The audio's pretty good for 2.0. The photo galleries are okay, but I haven't listened to the commentary yet.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
How does it compare to the Region 2. Is it the same cut? Is the picture and sound better or worse? What about the axtras?

Thanks !

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen the R2 firsthand, but from what I've read the new R2 'Director's Cut' is the same cut as this one. I don't think Mann's commentary would've been included on the R2 DC otherwise. The audio for the DC is in DD2.0 on both sides of the pond. According to the reviews, the R2 DC also has the extra/alternate footage cut in from a dodgy analogue source. I was hoping the R1 would correct this, but no such luck. The R2 is missing the various galleries (posters, stills etc) of the R1 DC, and the screenplay in PDF format is also gone. But the R2 DC does come packaged with Momentum's original Manhunter disc, which includes a couple of short documentaries, a trailer and a small poster gallery. The documentaries are available (in R1) on Anchor Bay's previous Manhunter dvd.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Just the regular Amaray, huh? It's just wirh such titles as the 2-Disc SEs of, The Man Who Fell To Earth and Winter Kills, I though that maybe Anchor was using some sort of similar elaborate packaging on these much-trumpeted "Divimax" titles.

I hope that they use the soild double Amarays on Halloween.

Shit, I still remember my much-cherished super-large non-BBFC-certified 1981(?) VHS pan and scan edition of Carpenter's landmark horror classic! :D

Cheers, Geoff! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

Britton

Screenwriter
I think it's great that Hannibal Lecktor is locked up in the High Museum of Art here in Atlanta. I've always meant to go by and give him a visit, heh heh.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'm on the fence with this one. I have the 2 disc limited edition and I'm not sure I can justify a double dip. The new director's cut, while restored, still contains scenes and lines from less than stellar source material. Is it better to watch the entire director's cut in "grain-o-vision" or be distracted by periodic instances of grainy scenes/lines? Opinions?

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
What about the cut? Does it have the famous line "I'll blow his ******* socks off!" restored? Is the overall quality better than the second disc in the previous Limited Edition? Is it better than the Region 2 Director's Cut?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks