What's new

A New Guy Shares His Home Theater (1 Viewer)

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
Well. I finally got my home theatre to the point where I want it to be (at least speaker-wise).

It started last October with the purchase of the Panasonic 42 inch plasma T.V.
Then I wanted High Definition viewing so that meant purchasing a high definition box (PVR) at Christmas.

So if you have 5.1 sound with high definition or DVDs, you want a receiver to accommodate that, so you can hear it – so a new receiver AVR 146 Harmon-Kardon (a lower end model but it seems fine at the moment). [My old Fisher RS270 receiver from 1981 had long ago given up the ghost].

Then the agonizing part about the speakers. I finally decided on KEFs and bought the center (iQ2) on New Year’s Day as it was half price. Then I watched for sales since then to get the iQ5s for fronts, the iQ1s for rear surrounds and the KEF PSW2500 subwoofer. By buying them bit by bit as I could afford them and as they went on sale, I was able to get all six KEF speakers new for $1266 Canadian including tax (about $1000 U.S.).

I am still using an old no-name brand DVD player and will continue to do so until I buy a Blu-ray player but I am in no rush at the moment.

The entertainment room is in our basement in an 11 foot wide x 17 foot long room – although not really a room as it has no doors. You go down the basement stairs and you are there – with a corridor to the left of the T.V. to access the bedrooms and bathroom. It has always been a T.V. room; we did nothing to modify it. Actually it was also a fish room. By selling my 180 gallon tank, fish, and accessories, I made room for the stereo stuff as well as enough money to cover most of the speaker cost. The distance from the T.V. to the seating is ten feet.

We were using an old futon for the seating area and hadn’t ever bought a sofa for the basement. I checked out some theatre seating chairs but they were either too pricey for our budget or cheap looking if they were in our budget. Plus they would always look like theatre seating. My wife compromised by allowing the leather sofa that holds three with the two end seats reclining – nice reclining comfort but a proper sofa look the rest of the time.

I must say my wife was quite understanding about this (notice I let her keep her doll collection next to the rear surrounds as a token of appreciation). I went stereo crazy in the early 80’s shortly after we married and then that calmed down for many years so maybe this is my midlife crisis although I am probably two-thirds through life. She does not mind this stuff occupying the space, nor did she mind the expenditure as we try stay out of debt and don’t use food-living expense money for hobbies and extras. The only thing she minds at times is the noise. The day after I got the subwoofer she was upstairs and came running down yelling “I can hear that thing upstairs with the door closed.” [Note to self – bought an effective subwoofer].

Thanks to all of you who have answered my questions in the last few months. I admire the more elaborate systems many of you have but hope this may give other beginners some ideas of where to start as I am new at this too. Enjoy the few pictures.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/a/af/htf_imgcache_40308.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/4/49/htf_imgcache_40309.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/f/f4/htf_imgcache_40310.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/c/c4/htf_imgcache_40311.jpeg] [/url]

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Out of curiosity, in a room that big, why didn't you go with a projector? A 42" display is awfully small for that seating distance (from 10' you should be in the 60"+ range at least - I sit 13' from a 126") Or build the room out? Looks like plenty of room for a riser with another row of seating and perhaps a stage.

Will you be putting in any acoustic treatments?

Do you have plans to move the surround speakers to the sides (back speakers are for a 7.1 setup).

And finally, if your wife is "hearing" the subwoofer from upstairs, then it's more than likely transferring the bass through the walls and upstairs via the wall structuring, which usually happens when a sub is placed straight on the floor like that. It usually results in too much "rattle" at loud levels. You might try moving it away from that wall or look into a subdude which will control that.

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
I guess if I really get into it, I could do that and put the 42 inch upstairs. Those shots were taken with a wide angle lens so things look bigger than they really are. To me 10 feet from the screen does not seem that far away.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Dwayne,
10 feet from the screen isn't that far away, so you are correct. I think you made some nice choices and the set-up looks very good. It's tasteful and can be a theater room as well as other things. Well done. And remember, what works best for you is what matters here. That recliner idea isn't bad either. :laugh: Take it easy.

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
I'd like the surrounds more to the side but the corridor (aisle) that accesses the other rooms is right where one of the surrounds would go if they were placed to the sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks