What's new

A new DVHS review thread. (1 Viewer)

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
Anyway, I watched U571 at Harveys electronics in the city. I was extremely impressed. It was playing out of a sharp z9000u, and it was just incredible. It had the picture of the Leowe 30", very 3D. If I had a HDTV I would buy it in a heart beat. I really think everyone who wants the best picture will not be disappointed. I would not say that it makes DVD unwatchable. My friend has the Leowe and it looks just as good, but to me size matters. I do not want a 30" perfect picture. I want a 100" perfect picture and the jvc DVHS really delivers.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Would you come to a Home owners Forum thread about new garage door openers and say: "oh houses with garages are too expensive, most people cant afford a house, I live in an apartment, I dont have a garage door, I wouldnt buy a garage door opener. I think garage door openers are lame."
I don't think anyone has a problem with HDTVs, so that's not the problem. I think that it's very limiting in saying you need top of the line equipment to be a home theater enthusiast you do the best you can within your means. I have a 27" Toshiba TV and a stereo setup. That's the best I can do with my particular economic situation at the moment, but I watch all my films in their OAR (with the exception of one which was only availiable openmatte) and plan on upgrading to a surround sound setup as soon as it's economically feasible. I don't want to derail your thread into DVD v.s. DVHS so I'll be brief, but the problem isn't economic in nature. It's a question of quality versus accessibility. As a new format, and a niche format at that, the vast majority of us expect it to be expensive. But at the same time, we shouldn't be labeled J6P because that expensive price tag is beyond our means.

As a parting shot, DVD can no longer be compared to laserdisc in terms of price, as it no longer holds the niche status that laserdisc did (and DVHS does). It's a direct competitor to VHS, and the pricing should reflect this. Still, you won't hear me complaining about a $29.99 price tag.

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
It isn't going in the direction I wanted you got that right!

In all honesty, I typed up that long post in MSWord, I cut it and pasted it onto the forum page, the heading was last minute without thought, and I was trying to fit it in with my message, which I apparently didn't communicate well.

That initial point was directed at the multitude of posts I have seen on review threads that complain about the price of HDTV and DVHS. I read many complaints that said HDTV is too expensive.

I regret using the term Joe Six Pack in the header. If it means anything, I apologize, and I absolutely did not mean that you had to have expensive gear or a lot of money to be an enthusiast. I meant that I view those folks out there who flood the review threads with complaints that are way off topic about costs and "I dont have an HDTV and even if I did..." as the joe six pack stereotype that has forever haunted this forum. I only used it in the heading because i didnt mean that anyone was J6p, but rather lets just have a discussion without ("sans") the J6p mentallity that everything should be produced and packaged cheaply to please the masses instead of quality for a little more money, while preserving OAR( which Dreamtheater DVHS does).

I now see that there are no excuses for name calling nor stereotypes. I was pleading for people to take the thread seriously and not flood it with trash talking, I guess you cant ask that while talking a little trash at the same time.

If I have offended anyone, please except my apology. I appreciate being a long time member here and participating in discussions with people who have great knowledge and often similiar tastes. I am not looking to censor or control anything. I was simply asking for the thread to be about the reviews and not the negative comments. I was voicing my opinion that too many threads on DVHS go way off topic and are shredded until there pointless.

Im not putting anyone down for not owning expensive equiptment or hdtv. I am saying that if you dont own an HDTV dont come into a thread about HDTV DVHS and trash it, and dont start talking negative about it until you at least have seen it with your own two eyes.

I do feel that this type of thread is valid, and that the DVHS topic is not beat to death. We've only seen a handful of reviews, and not on an assortment of equiptment. Roberto Carlo just brought up a good question about the smaller 30-40 hdtvs and tube sets.

If I didnt come up with a little bit of an attitude the thread would have ended up trashed and closed like all the rest. I overcompensated a bit. I will tone it down in the future.

Thanks to all who do and did check out DVHS and posted a reply.

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I have not seen DVHS on a 30" or tube set. I would speculate that the difference to me would be less on a smaller screen because tube picture looks so much cleaner than projected picture IMHO, but its much smaller.

On the other hand. Take a look at a computer monitor, it is very high resolution and non interlaced. Ive seen video games running on my big tv, and then run on a computer monitor. The small computer monitor can definately display a higher resolution picture with noticable differences.

Maybe someone can go to the shop and tell the salesman they have this specific tv 30" or tube, and would like them to hook up DVHS to so you can see. If they give you the run around, then talk to a manager, tell them that you are asking about a 1400$ piece of equiptment that merely plugs into the back of the set, surely they can arrange this demo, maybe during their slow hours, ect. When progressive scan first came out, I talked them into letting me hook it up myself to the set that i owned.

JeffMuller,
Your absolutely right, if my set is correctly displayed and the shop's set isnt (we all know it isnt) then it would be less a diffence and a faulty comparison. The only way to tell is to bring it home.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Lucas, you have to consider the number of lines per inch on a screen. You can have two viewing devices with the same horizontal resolution, but if one is larger than the other, the effective lines per inch will be lower. The perceived resolution will suffer as well. Hence, why smaller tvs often look better than bigger tvs. Greater lines per inch.

Mark_Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Well If I spent over a grand on a new Dvhs player and everyone was posting how backwards tape is and how inferior it is I might be defensive also. I can see why Lucas Dang posted this, there hasnt been a dvhs post on this site that didnt have negative comments about dvhs in it. Just let the lucky ones that purchased DVHS enjoy it with out having to hear all the negitives about it. All of these guys that are on the cutting edge know the potential problems with tape, they dont need someone telling them.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
On that same note, next time someone posts an "official" review of a film transferred to D-Theater, let's leave out the anti-tape carping which threatened to derail Gregg Loewen's review of the X-Men D-Theater tape.

Lucas's point in his original post was unequivocable: Let those who have high-def capability enjoy and discuss the high-quality images made possible by D-VHS D-Theater. The anti-D-VHS people can start their own threads and bash the format to their hearts' content.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

In all fairness, such threads should begin with a simple request (please: no discussion about the pros or cons of the dvhs format).

Unfortunately, this is not what happens. The calls to not discuss the cons of dvhs always seem to make insinuations about those who worry about the cons. Even your statement implies that those who don't like dvhs don't have high-def capability. I certainly do.

If we can avoid implying that those who see cons in the dvhs format must

a) not have hdtvs
b) not be willing to spend lots of money on their equipment
c) not care about the quality of the picture

then I think the dvhs review threads can live in peace.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Jack; wouldn't it a less painful experience for everyone if a separate forum was set up for DVHS. it's been proven that DVD & DVHS users cannot happily coexist without every thread turning to a format war discussion. and yes i agree, it does grate after a while. i'm unlikely to get into DVHS, but i'd like to hear about it nonetheless.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. This is "Home Theater Software" not "DVD Software".

Coexistance IS possible. I coexist with myself, and like both formats!

Andy_MT

Second Unit
I disagree. This is "Home Theater Software" not "DVD Software".
yeah, i understand your point, but how do you
suggest coexistance then ? don't forget, this is
a public forum. people are not that easy to control,
as i'm sure the moderators here will attest to.

i just think it might be the most painless and quickest
way to end the arguments. at least in the short
run. IMHO.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Jack, don't you just love the semantics over how D-VHS should be discussed? I'm referring to all the posts since your post? Not one reply since yours talks about the original discussion, but on the semantics of how it should be discussed.

You got a tough job moderating this place, and I applaud you.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Not one reply since yours talks about the original discussion, but on the semantics of how it should be discussed.
... or observations of the discussions on the semantics of how it should be discussed :D
ps:apologies to the thread starter, even after that unfortunate title incident. it was an interesting read and i'm sure we all appreciate your efforts. it deserved a better thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks