What's new

A new, amazing, thorough and hilarious critique of The Phantom Menace (2 Viewers)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In one of the prior ones Lucas himself specifically says "I may have overdone it here". But even then he was talking about the action sequences and not the base plot.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I finally got around to watching the reviews in their entirety. From a comedic standpoint, they're gold, but nowhere near as insightful as I'd been led to believe.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
introducing the Machete order:
IV, V, II, III, VI.
THE perfect way to watch all 6 films (count em again!) in order!
http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, but if you go to the link, he's got a bit more of a convincing argument than just, "LOL, skip the first one." Worth the read.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but if you go to the link, he's got a bit more of a convincing argument than just, "LOL, skip the first one." Worth the read
The watching of ANH, TESB, then the prequels and the ROTJ isn't a new idea, but the writer makes some good points on why it works and how it can actually strengthen the narrative of ROTJ (especially where it seems that Luke is coming dangerously close to going down a similar path as Anakin did)
I agree though that TPM can pretty much be completely skipped with virtually no impact on the rest of the story.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
WillG said:
Yeah, but if you go to the link, he's got a bit more of a convincing argument than just, "LOL, skip the first one." Worth the read
The watching of ANH, TESB, then the prequels and the ROTJ isn't a new idea, but the writer makes some good points on why it works and how it can actually strengthen the narrative of ROTJ (especially where it seems that Luke is coming dangerously close to going down a similar path as Anakin did)
I agree though that TPM can pretty much be completely skipped with virtually no impact on the rest of the story.
The one weird part was where he said, "If you don't watch the prequels first, you won't know who the young punk is with Obi-Wan and Yoda." Oh, no, no, no. Under no circumstance should one be watching the special, Haydenized Jedi! And then there's no issue.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Steve_Tk said:
After GL dies, I wonder how long it will be till they remake IV, V, and VI.
The number of years is less than zero, because remaking them is what Lucas has been doing for the past 15 years.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
A more interesting question is after GL dies will his heirs allow someone like RAH to properly restore and archive the three films that changed film history?
My money is that Lucas will have an iron-clad will which will forbid the originals from ever seeing the light of day, just so he can stick it to the OOT fans even from the grave. :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
My money is that Lucas will have an iron-clad will which will forbid the originals from ever seeing the light of day, just so he can stick it to the OOT fans even from the grave
I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt that a clause like that in Lucas' Will can legally preclude a release of the originals. I would imagine the decision would go to whoever is running Lucasfilm at that point. Of course, there is the question of honoring his wishes, but one could hope LucasFilm's other Senior Managers considered Lucas Mad for not offering a quality release of the originals, the multitude of silly changes to the OT and the way he handled the Prequels.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The idea of someone re-editing another person's movie makes me sick. I don't care if it's the best or worst movie ever made, no one should deface someone's else work.
I can't imagine that there would be much support if someone took a print of a painting and added or subtracted what they wanted or if a person added or subtracted a couple chapters to a book so why is it OK for movies to be 'fixed' by someone else? I just read The Girl Who Played With Fire and overall, it was fairly boring because it took hundreds of pages to get going and was hundreds of pages too long and is in desperate need of being trimmed down. However, the book is the book so I have no right at all to chop out what I don't like and the same basic thing goes for every piece of art ever created.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
The idea of someone re-editing another person's movie makes me sick. I don't care if it's the best or worst movie ever made, no one should deface someone's else work.
I can't imagine that there would be much support if someone took a print of a painting and added or subtracted what they wanted or if a person added or subtracted a couple chapters to a book so why is it OK for movies to be 'fixed' by someone else? I just read The Girl Who Played With Fire and overall, it was fairly boring because it took hundreds of pages to get going and was hundreds of pages too long and is in desperate need of being trimmed down. However, the book is the book so I have no right at all to chop out what I don't like and the same basic thing goes for every piece of art ever created.
I guess I can't just draw a straight line in the sand and say "this is ok" or "this is not ok". Artistic reinterpretation happens all of the time. Cover songs by bands happens at many concerts, and most that I've heard are marginally faithful to the original. So in principal I have no problem with someone re-editing or re-interpreting someone else's work. One great example in art: the oldest known copy of La Jaconde (Mona Lisa) is, of course at its very base, a copy. But it sheds light on what La Jaconde may have looked like in its original form, not after hundreds of years of exposure to the elements (which is what we see in The Louvre). The oldest copy was painted at the same time (maybe even in the same studio by one of Leonardo's students) and had been protected from the elements for all of these years. So even copies can have value.
That's the beauty of art: you can like it or not like it. Someone could take a stab at re-editing the Godfather. Would I like it? I don't know, I'd have to see it, but chances are it wouldn't be better than the original. But I wouldn't say that someone attempting it would "make me sick". It's not like Grace is trying to take credit for these movies. Nor is he trying to make money from it. Rather he's trying to learn the craft by editing an admittedly very flawed set of films. In fact one could argue that's one of the best ways to learn, take something that's as flawed as the PT and see if you can make something watchable from it. Nothing wrong with that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
I guess I can't just draw a straight line in the sand and say "this is ok" or "this is not ok".
It's easy. If you didn't make the work, you don't get to change it. :) If Topher Grace wrote and shot his own versions of the prequels (as long as he's not profiting, he would be in no legal trouble for making fan films), I'd find it odd but that's not the same as taking other people's work and just doing whatever he wants with it.
As for cover songs, there's no parallel here. The musical equivalent of this would be like if I took a song and remixed or re-recorded some parts or shortened it to suit my tastes.
Rather he's trying to learn the craft by editing an admittedly very flawed set of films. In fact one could argue that's one of the best ways to learn, take something that's as flawed as the PT and see if you can make something watchable from it. Nothing wrong with that.
Sure, that's an interesting way to learn (especially since it's three huge scale movies that have problems) but once you're showing it to people like it's an improvement, you've crossed a line. He might not actually have said that it was an improvement but it's implied because no one re-edits someone else's movie and says "Look how bad I made it." No matter how skillful of an editor he is, I find it hard to believe there's a way to edit nearly 7 hours of movie into 85 minutes and have it actually tell a story. It'll be like the recap shows that they used to play before Lost season premieres where it's essentially a highlight reel that jogs your memory of what you've already seen and imparts the minimum amount of information rather than functioning as a real movie.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's easy. If you didn't make the work, you don't get to change it. If Topher Grace wrote and shot his own versions of the prequels (as long as he's not profiting, he would be in no legal trouble for making fan films), I'd find it odd but that's not the same as taking other people's work and just doing whatever he wants with it.
As for cover songs, there's no parallel here. The musical equivalent of this would be like if I took a song and remixed or re-recorded some parts or shortened it to suit my tastes.
People do remix or re-record all of the time, so I don't get how you say there's no parallel.
And in fact, in music, they make money off of it, whereas Grace not only didn't make any money from it, but only showed it to a select group of people as opposed to covered music which can be sold and distributed for profit.
If it's okay in music, I don't see how it can't be okay in this instance. Like it or don't like it, that's up to each person.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks