What's new

"A Midnight Clear" is coming from Columbia. My fingers are crossed. (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Actually, while I disagree with non-anamorphic widescreen releases, I find P&S-only releases to be a much more heinous act than unenhanced discs.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
What galls me is that there is no reason Columbia can't include both an OAR and a pan & scan version on this release. Heck, they did it with Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould, why not A Midnight Clear? And I daresay 32SFAGG is much more of a niche film than AMC! Columbia, you're makin' a mistake...

Brian E

Screenwriter
This is not some cheesy comedy that no one cares about like "Mo Money" that you can treat with no respect.
They should actually treat them all with respect. While Mo Money is a title I don't care to own, I'm sure there are others who want it and don't want it f'd up by CTS.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
So any word from Columbia on this issue? You'd think the studios would have learned after the Willy Wonka no-widescreen debacle...

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Brian, you are 110% correct when you say that all films should be treated with respect. I was just making the point that releasing a film like "A Midnight Clear" in P&S only is a huge shock. Of course I feel that ALL films should be released in their Original Aspect Ratio's.

However, I feel that a separate petition for this title is in order. Do people from Columbia ever visit the HTF?

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
A Midnight Clear was one of my most wanted DVDs. No matter how badly I want this film, if it's not OAR I will not buy it. Columbia/Tri-Star's decision is disgusting.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
It's hard to believe that this is the same company that put out the very nice Dr. Strangelove recent release. (Keeping in mind that it is about the what-- third? fourth?--DVD incarnation of that title from CTS). Just about everything about it is right - anamorphic 1.66:1 image, original sound mix included, bumped audio options for those who like such things, a solid transfer that somewhat boldly decided to embrace a darker image than previous releases, nice extras. As usual the MSRP is about $5-$7 higher than what their competitors would probably set, but that's relatively minor - at least the product itself is done well.
I am at a loss to understand what CTS's thinking is on this title and on their downgrading of a number of titles to MAR only after previously having issued them with both WS and 4:3 transfers. I immediately took several of the latter off of my wish list; I had thought about trying to find copies of the originals with the WS transfers, but on reflection I've decided I can live without them. If CTS wanted to give me a reason to consider a DVD's studio of origin as a negative inducement to buying it, they have succeeded.
I won't go so far as to boycott anything from CTS, but I will surely think long and hard about whether I really need to buy their product ... much more so than any other studio at present.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Otherwise, it will become a Heavenly Creatures sort of victim: a film I desperately, desperately want but won't buy.
Bruce:

HEAVENLY CREATURES *IS* presented in anamorphic widescreen, 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It's also the longer (and in my opinion superior) New Zealand-release cut of the film (109-minutes vs. 99-minute U.S. theatrical cut).

Vincent

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just wanted to let you know that MGM has put out a anamorphic widescreen DVD of A Midnight Clear in Korea.
Jay, do you have this? If so, how's the disc? And is it uncut (read the disclaimer on the site)?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Jay, do you have this? If so, how's the disc? And is it uncut (read the disclaimer on the site)?
Hi Steve

I've received it yesterday but have not viewed it yet. That disclaimer is on every DVD on their website, don't worry about it, its the full 107 minute version.

I'll check out the transfer this weekend and let you know. I got around 12 DVDs from Korea yesterday and I'm still checking them out. Some great buys over there!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to let you know that MGM has put out a anamorphic widescreen DVD of A Midnight Clear in Korea
So MGM has the overseas distribution rights for A Midnight Clear? Does CTS still have the Region 1 rights? Perhaps wishful thinking, but maybe MGM could get full rights and release a proper dvd.
Bruce

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to let people know that I skimmed through the Korean DVD and the transfer is very nice & sharp! You won't go wrong picking this up.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Yeah, but how the hell do you pay for the damn thing? KoreanDVDs really needs to reconfigure their site. Either that or I'm an idiot. :confused:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There are two listings on Koreandvds - one for 8.48 and another for 12.72. They look identical. Which did you buy?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Guo Xiong

I bought the $8.48.

Steve

There should be a separate form that pops up where you enter the credit card info. It is from Worldpay (I think that's the name) which is what some e-tailers use. It's not done directly at KoreanDVDs site. It took me a couple of times to figure that out.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks