What's new

A message from Yamaha on the RXV-1400 and DPLIIx (1 Viewer)

JedW

Agent
Below is an email response that I recieved whe I inquired about why the Canadian version has DPLIIx and the US version does not.

"The RX-V1400 will support PLiiX. It is scheduled for DEC. We can do a
firmware update on the current RX-V1400."

Best regards,
Charles

Can someone please tell me what firmware is and exactly how the unit could be updated using it?

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Firmware is the internal coding on a devices' microprocessor that tells it "what it is" and "what it can do."

The process of updating firmware is sometimes called "Flashing" b/c essentially what you are doing is "flashing" the new info onto the devices' EEPROM chip (electronically eraseable programmable read only memory) which is kind of a contradiction in terms, but that's what it stands for. :)

Firmware updates can fix bugs, enable new functionality or both.

A very simple example would be CD burners in a computer. A company makes a 32x burner. 6 months later, they come out with a 40x. Somebody decides to experiment and discovers that if you "flash" the 32x burner with the firmware from the 40x one, the 32x now thinks it's a 40x burner.

Voila; free extra perfomance.

Obviously a HT receiver is much more complicated but that's the general idea in a nutshell. Typically, upgrading a receiver's firmware is done thru the RS-232 (serial) port. But the central microprocessor can also be swapped out by a qualified tech.

Scott R. Scherr

Stunt Coordinator
It has been reported over at avsforum that the upgrade for both the 1400 and 2400 would require you to ship your receiver to Yamaha to be upgraded. Keep in mind that the 1400 is not software upgradable so that makes sense.

Scott

John B

Auditioning
I wonder if my local authorized dealer (tweeter) would simply swap out receivers. I don't really want to ship my receive out...

Did yamaha mention how they plan to designate which receivers will come with the upgraded functionality, like a little sticker that says "I'm special"?

-john

JedW

Agent
They didn't mention how they would show the difference. I was also wondering along the same lines, if the dealer would handle the problem for you.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think at this price level, this is a really cool thing Yamaha is doing. They could have simply said, no DPL IIx until the 1500. :)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I think at this price level, this is a really cool thing Yamaha is doing. They could have simply said, no DPL IIx until the 1500.
Yes, very surprising considering you can find the 1400 for $600 online. I would have figured on that type of support for a $2000+ flagship receiver but not for something middle of the road.

I guess I'll wait a little since I haven't even been able to find a B+M store in the St. Louis area that has the Yamaha 1400 in stock.

DanV

Auditioning
Yamaha hmmmmm. A few years ago there was a upcoming GPS receiver builder that competed with some of the greatest names in navigation. This company had a different view in how to deal with its customers - offer GREAT service and a quality product. From the start they offered free on-line firmware and software upgrades for their receivers and mapping software and an occasional low-cost hardware upgrade for a reasonable fee. They were accessible and even occasionally participated in newsgroups. Garmin is now number 1 in sales. I wonder if someone in the home electronics field is going to try this.

Dan

Seiken Nakama

Auditioning
Here's what I received from yamaha support today confirming the posts on the AVS Forum.

"Yamaha will support the PLIIx upgrade for both the
RX-V2400 and the RX-V1400. You can
simply ship the unit to our corporate office for the upgrade. Yamaha
does require for the customer to pay for shipping to us, but we will
pay
for shipping back to the customer. There are no actual charges for the
upgrade. Only shipping fees to us. Here is the address:

Yamaha Electronic Corp
att: Service Dept (Dolby PLIIx upgrade)
6660 Orangethorpe Ave
Buena Park, CA 90620

Best regards,
Charles"

RussellB

Grip
i was about to order this receiver this weekend. etronics has them for 560 plus 32 shipping. will the prices stay the same? should i buy now or wait to see if they get upgraded ones

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks