What's new

A LITTLE LOOK AT ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA - THE RESTORATION ON BLU-RAY (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
A BD 50 for a movie of this length is fine - there would be no compression problems whatsoever if authored properly. Very few here or elsewhere really understand what BD 25 and BD 50 is about and capable of. The Beaver regularly assigns the word "modest" to any film put on a BD 25 and frequently to films of under ninety minute duration with no other material on the disc at all. The problem with a film of the length of America is putting it on one disc if there are other things on that disc, like extras - that's the only way it would become problematic.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
haineshisway said:
A BD 50 for a movie of this length is fine - there would be no compression problems whatsoever if authored properly. Very few here or elsewhere really understand what BD 25 and BD 50 is about and capable of. The Beaver regularly assigns the word "modest" to any film put on a BD 25 and frequently to films of under ninety minute duration with no other material on the disc at all. The problem with a film of the length of America is putting it on one disc if there are other things on that disc, like extras - that's the only way it would become problematic.
I understand, i have seen some great looking television shows from Warner Bros with a little over 300 minutes of HD footage, those shows don't have noticeable film grain though, compressing film grain is more difficult, requires a bit more of a higher bitrate than clean HD footage and two discs would make their job easier although they should be able to do it with one disc.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I understand the trouble of inserting the extra footage, but maybe they should give up if it means they have to lower the PQ of the Original
which was stunning on the 35mm prints I saw, What I don't understand is why the original BR doesn't look better, its not all the fact that
that the disc wasn't dual layer ,I think its the transfer too why its taking so long for a better one to come a long is a real shame ,I haven't even heard
a word of a new version.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The original Blu-ray in the US just used an old transfer - color is right, but authoring isn't great and there have been rather major strides in scanning and transfers since then - a fresh new scan with proper color timing - we'll just keep repeating that until someone gets it. And I REALLY don't care about all this footage there trying to shove back in the film - some of it isn't even finished - the scene with De Niro and Louise Fletcher has only production sound and isn't even mixed. It's amateur and Mr. Leone would be flinging steaming pasta at his children and others who are turning his beautiful film into some hideous thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks