A little bit of oil....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Roman-K, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Roman-K

Roman-K Stunt Coordinator

I received nip/tuck in the mail today and my wife wanted to watch. After 5 atempts I could not play it and got an error as there was a scratch and the DVD player would not read the disc. My wife was grumpy and out of despreation I got some canola oil and rubbed it over the disc with a no-scratch cloth, put it into the DVD player and amazingly it started up. I know there are DVD repair kits available, but I don't have one and the stores are all closed so I thought I might pass on a solution that worked for me.

2. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

What made you think to use canola oil? It sounds like such a risky move to try on a whim.

3. John*D

John*D Second Unit

You probably just removed some debris that was on the disc...

Canola oil isn't going to remove a scratch, or is it... [​IMG]

Whatever works, I suppose.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think the oil 'filled' in the scratch. I've heard that toothpaste can do the same thing. I'm not gonna try it but I think as long as the scratch isn't too bad, filling it can actually correct the problem.

5. Roman-K

Roman-K Stunt Coordinator

Actually I tried toothpaste first, I don't know why I did, but it didn't work. The scratch was and still is quite bad. I tried the oil as I would be returning the DVD anyways and my wife really wanted to watch. I have to agree with TravisR, the oil probably filled in the scratch enough for the disc to be read.