What's new

A.I looks bad on my HDTV (1 Viewer)

DAVE_B

Auditioning
I agree that there seems to be quite a bit of grain in this film. Do you think it is also due to the techniques used by Spielberg's cinematographer. If I recall correctly "Saving Private Ryan" has this grainy look on my hdtv also.

Todd McF

Second Unit
This "artistic intention" argument is bunk for AI. Saving Private Ryan was grainy on purpose and it added to the visuals. In AI, it just looks like sheeeeet.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Boy, I saw grain on A.I! Does that mean I have a really good system?

I personally kinda like the grain. For me, the grain gives the image scale...I feel like I'm watching it on a bigger screen and the movie just seems bigger. Maybe I'm just completely nuts though....

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
This "artistic intention" argument is bunk for AI. Saving Private Ryan was grainy on purpose and it added to the visuals. In AI, it just looks like sheeeeet.
:rolleyes
A.I's visible grain in the transfer is indeed inherent to DP Janusz Kaminski's choice of film stock. I'm with Jeremy all the way on this one, I honestly find A.I to be one of the most incredibly film like transfers I have ever seen on DVD. It does the cinematography and theatrical prints great justice.
Those who can't stand to see film grain come through on DVD transfers will surely go nuts when HD-DVD comes along and the higher resolution makes such an element impossible to avoid. Viva the Sony/Panavision HD Cam revolution? :-/
Dan

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
This fine movie is FINALLY winging its way to me from Canada, so this is interesting reading.
I like grain, grain is sweeeeeet, not sheeeeeet :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, The Godfather looks pretty good.

I noticed a few scenes with heavy grain, but it was mostly stock footage. There was a small haze of grain throughout, but the detail was still ultra-fine. (I could see the texture of Marlon Brando's made-up face.)

A.I. was grainy and a little soft in the theater I saw it at, too. Grain and color are two things you should never judge a transfer on, unless it's obvious (like Eastman fading) since many titles have intentional color and grain effects built in.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Well it arrived today courtesy of my friends DHL and while I've not watched the whole thing through, I've flicked through sequences. It seems just like I remember it. I thought it was a very very strong transfer.

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
I concur with anyone stating that the DVD of "AI" is an excellent home video translation of the film. The grain is present in the theatrical prints, and film fans should be glad to have the movie appropriately replicated for home viewing.

Wait until you guys see Altman's "Gosford Park." I saw that in a theater recently, and I believe it has more grain than "AI." If the eventual DVD transfer of that film is accurate, watch for the thread discussing its "defective" transfer.

Films are like paintings in some regards. Choices of film stock, processing techniques, lighting, etc. all have their effects on the look and feel of the finished product. Every film doesn't and shouldn't necessarily have the same "texture." If you expect "AI" to look like "The Fifth Element," you'll be disappointed.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Wait until you guys see Altman's "Gosford Park." I saw that in a theater recently, and I believe it has more grain than "AI." If the eventual DVD transfer of that film is accurate, watch for the thread discussing its "defective" transfer.
Same thing with the Ocean's 11 remake. It was loaded with grain. I'm sure people will have complaints when it hits DVD soon as well.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Eyes Wide Shut had loads and loads of grain in the theater; the DVD doesn't have a fraction of the visible grain that was on the film. I think they went quite overboard in changing the look of the picture, myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks