What's new

"A Hard Day's Night" 50th Anniversary restoration Criterion blu-ray confirmed... (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hollywoodaholic said:
Here's the announcement on the UK release. Personally, I much prefer this cover. Just wish this version were Region Free. Extras look the same, with the Criterion having a couple more smaller pieces.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13872
So it looks as if I'll have to stick with the Criterion even if the UK release is cheaper as the UK version doesn't include the fabulous Running Jumping and Standing Still movie extra.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Bumping this thread to let you all know that the blu-ray will feature all new cover artwork.

Also, something I should have shared before. Even though this is a Japanese dub, this is how If I Fell and Can't Buy Me Love originally sounded like in the film. They sounded great originally, especially Can't Buy Me Love! Listen to how awesome George's guitar playing sounds!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for the video clip.
I'm thinking now that although the UK release won't have the Richard Lester short 'Running Jumping and Standing Still Film' it may still be the preferred choice because of its additional audio track.
The Criterion specs list two audio tracks .. mono and Surround.
The UK disc lists three tracks. mono, 'newly created' stereo and Surround.
Maybe the stereo will be gutsier than the Surround ..... that's guesswork, but may as well have the choice of all three!

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
AnthonyClarke said:
Thanks for the video clip.I'm thinking now that although the UK release won't have the Richard Lester short 'Running Jumping and Standing Still Film' it may still be the preferred choice because of its additional audio track.The Criterion specs list two audio tracks .. mono and Surround.The UK disc lists three tracks. mono, 'newly created' stereo and Surround.Maybe the stereo will be gutsier than the Surround ..... that's guesswork, but may as well have the choice of all three!
I believe Criterion also lists 3 audio tracks same as the UK version. Mono, stereo and surround.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
And here is the Blu-Ray artwork. Ugh! Looks awful!

10295777_440808709386901_5587942605242249489_n.jpg

What's wrong with this? (The original British quad)

harddays.jpg

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I saw A HARD DAY'S NIGHT on a double bill with GIANT on the Saturday evening before Thanksgiving, 1964, at The Belgrade Theater in Philadelphia. We were walking out of the theater around 12:30 am!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
John Maher_289910 said:
I saw A HARD DAY'S NIGHT on a double bill with GIANT on the Saturday evening before Thanksgiving, 1964, at The Belgrade Theater in Philadelphia. We were walking out of the theater around 12:30 am!
"A Hard Day's Night" and "Giant" on a double bill, or as we call it at my place, Tuesday.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Just added to the iTunes Store. The "trailer" is actually the entire opening titles sequence. It's 2.0 stereo with the screams and a cleaner fade-out of the title song. Seems to be the new remix since it doesn't match the 2.0 stereo track on MPI's ancient DVD, nor the Miramax 5.1 track.

Looks like we'll have to wait for the actual disc about the mono mix since the iTunes download is 5.1-only.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Patrick McCart said:
Just added to the iTunes Store. The "trailer" is actually the entire opening titles sequence. It's 2.0 stereo with the screams and a cleaner fade-out of the title song. Seems to be the new remix since it doesn't match the 2.0 stereo track on MPI's ancient DVD, nor the Miramax 5.1 track.

Looks like we'll have to wait for the actual disc about the mono mix since the iTunes download is 5.1-only.
As Bob Furmanek stated earlier in this thread, the song originally played complete with NO screaming heard until the fade out.

Paul Rutan Jr.

Auditioning
Bob Furmanek said:
Ron Furmanek is responsible for restoring this logo to the film in place of Walter Shenson's replacement. Paul Rutan located the original 35mm negative.
Actually, I had the logo in safe keeping. I just cut poor Walter out and put the UA logo back in. TRon's suggestion.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Paul Rutan Jr. said:
Actually, I had the logo in safe keeping. I just cut poor Walter out and put the UA logo back in. TRon's suggestion.
I gotta say that I was overall really impressed with Criterion's job on the film, and the attempt to preserve the original mono soundtrack as much as possible.

However, I do wish they had kept the original B&W UA Hexagon. They restored it on The Man With the Golden Arm, as well as on an obscure British film from 1957 called Three Sundays to Live. So I do not know why Criterion could not do the same thing here.

On the subject of the UA Hexagon: I heard that the next Beatles film, Help!, also originally began with such logo as well.

Filmdoctor

Grip
Real Name
Paul Rutan Jr
The UA logo thing is very strange. I made a point of reinserting it back into the Fine Grain. Also, the aspect ratio is 1:66. If you screen it at 1:37 you'll see empty seats at the top in the R 10.

Filmdoctor

Grip
Real Name
Paul Rutan Jr
Interesting. I just screened the MPI, Miramax and Criterion DVDs. Since there was no Blu Ray comparason. For all the work, scanning the original at 4K, etc. I liked the picture on both the MPI and Miramax versions better. I found that in the Criterion version, the blacks were crushed and it was overall too lite. Call me old fashioned, but the other telecined versions had a warmer and more inviting feeling to them. If anyone else has the different versions, take a look. I'd like your opinions on what I see.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The reason they do 4k scans instead of 2k is mostly so they can do theatrical screenings and put a bigger number in the publicity. It doesn't make that much difference to the image quality once it's bounced down to 1080p.

Resolution only matters if you have a screen big enough to resolve it. A DVD is going to look pretty much like a blu-ray on a 32 inch CRT. But a blu-ray is going to look significantly better on a 120 inch screen projected.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bigshot said:
A DVD is going to look pretty much like a blu-ray on a 32 inch CRT. But a blu-ray is going to look significantly better on a 120 inch screen projected.
Very true unless i take my glasses off in which case the question i then ask is not which one looks better but where's the screen.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Watched this for the first time last night after watching the Anthology about 6 months ago. I was too young to experience the Beatles when they first burst on the scene and only became a fan in the early 70's. I have most of their CDs and break them out every couple of years for a listen. I thoroughly enjoyed both the Anthology and A Hard Day's Night. Excellent quality and just a lot of fun to watch.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
bigshot said:
The reason they do 4k scans instead of 2k is mostly so they can do theatrical screenings and put a bigger number in the publicity. It doesn't make that much difference to the image quality once it's bounced down to 1080p.

Resolution only matters if you have a screen big enough to resolve it. A DVD is going to look pretty much like a blu-ray on a 32 inch CRT. But a blu-ray is going to look significantly better on a 120 inch screen projected.
Have you noticed that when you watch a Blu-Ray on a more recent TV set, the movement looks like videotape at times?

I hope I am not the only one who notices this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks