What's new

a great bbq paste ... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey all -

okay, i recently found this great recipe in my weber's big book of grilling cookbook.

2 tablespoons evoo
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

just mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. i like to let the mixture sit for a while ... so all the spices can get comfy with each-other.

then i liberally rub it on all sides of my meat, then let it rest for about 15 minutes. the resting helps the mixture seal to the meat, plus it gives the meat time to get to room temperature before i cook it.

it has a nice spicy, semi-hot, yet sweet flavor. i really like the fact it has no sugary ingredient ... so it doesn't burn on the bbq. i've put it on steaks and pork-chops to great success. i'm not so sure how it will taste on chicken, but that's my next test.

definitely try it out ... i think you guys will like it. definitely my favorite rub recipe so far.

ted

-----

btw, if anyone has any fave recipes they'd like to share ... definitely go for it!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i suspect it's the cinnamon ... it just kinda "hides" in the background. heck, i don't know what those spices do on their own ... i just know it tastes good if you gunk it all together.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Ted, I gave this a spin with chicken tonight and it was quite excellent...I overdid the amount per breast a bit, but the cumin/chili/cinnamon mix was perfect.

I usually "wing it" when putting together a marinade or BBQ sauce, so I don't have much to share back. I tend towards soya based with ginger or a typical BBQ sauce sweetened with brown sugar.

By the way, Mark thanks for clarifying what evoo was. Thought maybe it was some new short form for evaporated milk...:)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
But cinnamon isn't really "sweet" though. Put your finger in some and stick it on your toungue and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I think it's the worcestershire. Look at its ingredients and you'll probably find corn syrup and/or molasses. It probably carmelizes a little when cooked bringing out the sugary taste.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
bob - glad you liked it. :)

maybe i shouldn't have emphasized the word "sweet" so much ... it's definitely more spicy then sweet. the sweetness is really more in the background. it just kinda "rounds-off" the spices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks