What's new

A good receiver for $500.00 dollars or less. (1 Viewer)

Tony-M

Auditioning
What is a good THX receiver for $500.00 dollars or less? If, there is a receiver that’s better than a THX for that price please let me know.

(':b')

John S

Senior HTF Member
man, do some price scanning via the net for the Yamaha 5890, killer AVR, I have bought them around that price point.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are receivers at that price point that are THX Select, but in most cases, it should not be used as a deciding factor when looking in this price range because there are few that are at $500.

Tony-M

Auditioning
I have looked, but have made a decision. I respect the advice that is given on this forum and wanted to hear what others have to say.

Tony-M

Auditioning
Sorry my second message should of read

I have looked, but have not made a decision. . I respect the advice that is given on this forum and wanted to hear what others have to say.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
Buy one or a couple from a place that has a good return policy, then keep the one that you like.

I am going to be trying out the Panasonic XR55 here soon.

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
I was set on getting either a yamaha 5890 or a pioneer 1015 but then I listened the harman kardon's at the local circuit city and the yamaha and pioneer were blown away. Now the one thing that I did not like was the prices of the harman kardons so I bought a refurb off of harman audio and it great. I love it, my old yamaha 5740 does not not hold a candle to the hk avr 330 ($297.00) I now have. I would have liked to get the avr630 but I could not swing the extra cash. I think the avr630 is around $497.00 on the harman audio web site and it will smoke most all of the receivers in that price range.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
I was previously set on a Pioneer 1015TX...but after reading the AVS thread on the Panny XR55, I'm definitely going to audition one of these. THe XR70 might be a bit more future proof though, as it is packing an HDMI port.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
jim, but XR70 is 6.1 and the LFE x-over is fixed at 100Hz (so much for future proofing heh)

would love to hear your impressions, when you got - either one. I'm on a XR25 and itching to trade up LOL

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
6.1 doesn't bother me, but 100hz fixed crossover? Even my cheapo, old JVC 6000VBK has 80, 100, and 120hz crossover selection. Odd.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
yeh.. the XR55 is the first of them thats got a variable xover, and speaker binding posts for all channels (instead of just the front L/R)

i gather the analog input has also improved over the older XRs

Tony-M

Auditioning
Since THX should not be the deciding factor then what should I decide on. I have a old Onkyo 838 Req Cinema, which is another version of THX but, I can't find Req anywhere. My present system’s sound just cuts off and on while playing (T. V. or DVD’s) so I'm getting desperate to buy another receiver.

I am open to suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks