What's new

A good deal for Conan fans... (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Circuit City has decided to list the original Conan DVD release and the Collector's Edition at the same price:

$14.99

That's a significant markdown for the CE version and obviously no one will want the old 4:3 letterboxed version.

All versions are still mono, however.

John Gates

Second Unit
Gak!! Why in the world wouldn't they re-mix the sound? This film has one of the best musical scores EVER, in my opinion. There is such huge potential for wonderful, directional sound effects also.

Completely bummed to discover this.... and I *was* going to purchase.

John

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the mono version is quite lacking. It certainly doesn't match the quality of the video transfer.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Could it be that they no longer have the audio stems from the production to enable a 5.1 remix? More than likely that's the case. There are a few foreign editions with "5.1", but from what I'm told it's mostly mono, or sound like someone just making the same sound come out of a different speaker (aka, they took the mono and started pushing buttons)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Could it be that they no longer have the audio stems
You're probably right, but they could have at least integrated the stereo score elements known to exist.

But as far as fake multi-channel soundtracks go, I've heard a few good ones.

I remember renting the Planet of the Apes (1968) LD and being really surprised at what they were able to do with a movie that old.

I also thought the Terminator remix was good as well.

========

Also, I saw the new Conan 'two pack': Conan CE and Destroyer (existing).

I think it was priced at only $18.

I really should have waited on Conan CE, I paid $27 just for CE.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
What you can do with a remix depends on whether or not you have the original stems available. With Terminator they did, I just wish there weren't those horrible sound FX replacements. When Ahnuld kills Sarah #1 I always flip over to the mono track just so I won't have ot listen to that horrible new sound

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks