What's new

A full 4K Res Home Theater on a 125k Budget (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Wow, WoW, WOW, that looks fantastic! I'm dying to see some wide shots of all four walls so I can gain perspective on the full layout!

WOW!!

Mark

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Final set of photos guys!

Media Browser in Action

yyXrQwtl.jpg

My focus is off.. sorry..

qaieabLl.jpg

Control4.. (Ignore the mouse, that's not part of the theater, just was with the laptop brought in)

FjOyB8ll.jpg

Getting the granite countertops along the back row of the chairs was a real trick. It's actually two pieces, but they used some technique to fuse the two together in place and you can't tell at all.

Wide view from the bar.
U97yhBUl.jpg

Ignore the blankets.. kids curl up to watch a film. :)

Equipment properly in place.

0DGQITkl.jpg

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
mattCR said:
No problem. FYI, this is the screen we ended up going with:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Screen-Innovations-Black-Diamond-Zero-Edge-SBZ144BD27-/Screen/27208

VERY easy install. I'll try to put up some of that later.
I have been reading a lot of complaints about sparklies on the Black Diamond screens, people tend to buy them for light walls and daytime use, with the money you have at your disposal i'm surprised you didn't go for a Seymour, they're not all acoustically transparent but the constant area masking is a huge thing to have.

http://www.seymourav.com/masking.asp

You'll be upgrading next year to Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D if you haven't already. :D

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
FoxyMulder said:
I have been reading a lot of complaints about sparklies on the Black Diamond screens, people tend to buy them for light walls and daytime use, with the money you have at your disposal i'm surprised you didn't go for a Seymour, they're not all acoustically transparent but the constant area masking is a huge thing to have.

http://www.seymourav.com/masking.asp

You'll be upgrading next year to Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D if you haven't already. :D
I've already prepped for Atmos. That was part of the planning. We have shadowboxes above for overheads, though they aren't mounted because B&W didn't have any that really will go there at the moment. I'm not going to rush that under the equipment is right.

You know, on the screen we looked at a lot of options. This room also exists as a panic & storm safety room.. behind that screen is a 10" concrete wall. The doors is a steel trap door/etc. When I talked to B&W about customizing speakers for the room, I liked the CT8, but I needed them inverted with some minor changes. It was easier to get that done then try to worry about knocking out a concrete wall to put something behind a screen ;)

I chose the Diamond Zero Edge Black because when I projected true 4K content, I didn't find any screen in the same category. You do have to take time to get the projector to really use it correctly, but once it's setup just right I get an image like nothing I've seen.. it is sharper and without being overwhelming brighter and more enjoyable than any LED TV I've seen.

I looked at Stewart and other screens.. everything had pros & cons. But the DZE really, really worked out for me. Since I'm constantly flipping from 1.85 to 2.39 to 2.40, I wanted that to be open motorized and ready rather than have to deal with re-sheeting. It's been flawless for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks